Beware of Escape Key on Squarespace

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://www.caseyjscalf.com/

Just trying to lay some crumbs for the next person...

So there is a feature in Squarespace that if enabled will send anyone that ever visits your site to the login page if they hit the "esc" escape key while on your site.

I finally found out this was the root issue (I had no idea it even existed) and if you need to disable this *feature* it is super simple. Watch this video for more help: https://www.charlotteohara.ca/blog/disable-escape-key-login-squarespace-tutorial 

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 3.29.35 PM.png

Edited by CaseyJScalf
Condense

On all the sites I've created recently with SS the Escape Key feature had to be intentionally enabled. In other words it was off by default.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• Solution
On 9/29/2022 at 10:37 PM, CaseyJScalf said:

there is a feature in Squarespace that if enabled will send anyone that ever visits your site to the login page if they hit the "esc" escape key

The escape key login shortcut was a convenient feature that was enabled by default, for all websites created before 30 August 2020. It could always be checked or changed in Settings > Advanced

The escape key login shortcut feature was disabled by default from 30 August 2020. However, it could be manually enabled in Settings > Advanced.   

On 9 January 2024, Squarespace discontinued to the escape key login shortcut on all websites. From now on, you can use one of the following methods to logon to your Squarespace website:

• Add /config to the end of your domain name. For example, mysite.com/config
  • Select your site from the Account Dashboard at account.squarespace.com

For more information, see Escape Key Login.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
Updated January 2024

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 year later...
On 9/30/2022 at 7:43 AM, paul2009 said:

If you created your website before 30 August 2020, the escape key login shortcut will have been enabled by default. To check or change the setting navigate to Settings > Advanced

The feature is disabled by default on all Squarespace websites created after this date.

It looks like it was completely disabled today.

• 1 month later...
On 1/15/2024 at 7:20 PM, Rammy said:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815858-Escape-key-login

As of January 9th the Escape key shortcut is no longer supported.

I thought this was a convenient way to go straight to the editor, disappointed it's no longer supported.

If you are looking for alternative, check our script Admin Quick acess https://beyondspace-showcase.squarespace.com/blog/replace-escape-key-login-with-admin-quick-access

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!