squarespace hosting elsewhere will it be slower?

Silly newbie question I guess.

But I already bought a domain name. I am happy to host it at NameCheap or JustHost

So it then 'points' to the squarespace page

BUT... it seems to me I then have added an extra 'element' into the mixture. Now both NameCheap and Squarespace need to be 'working' - I mean will it go 'slower'

For instance I may pay an extra $1 a month for NameCheap to use a UK Datacentre [because the people using the site will mostly be in the UK] but surely any gains are lost by NameCheap 'pointing' to squarespace who may be run out of the US?

Am I stupid to be paying extra to get NameCheap to host the site/s?

I just don't like Squarespace charging me $20 a year for the domain name... and to save that $10 I am spending $45 a year extra

What advantage do I have by being on NameCheap stella plan - will any gains be lost by everything being pointed to squarespace - and so I'm just going to always have squarespace service - but with the extra step of going via NameCheaps datacentre?

As I said I am asking a stupid newbie question... so thanks for any help/abuse... all is appreciated xx

• Replies 3
  • Views 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much for the answer

I have a follow up question...

I live in the UK, most/all my customers are in the UK.

That would suggest I should choose NameCheap's UK data centre [they have three, USA, Europe and the UK]

It is a whole $1 a month more expensive. Which is maybe not much, but it is a large part of the price.

BUT... if I understand your answer correctly - it maybe doesn't matter. Because Namecheap doesn't 'load anything' - so any advantage of having the UK data centre is mitigated by squarespace servers being [I guess] in the US?

So, would it make sense to just get the cheaper US Namecheap data centre option... as there is no real difference. I mean if it improved the customers experience by loading up quicker - I think the extra dollar a month would be worth it.

Thanks again for any help