Only an Administrator can publish new pages. Are SqSp permission levels too basic?

Only Admins can publish new pages. Are SqSp permission levels too basic?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Only Administrators – who automatically have billing privileges – can publish new pages. Website Editors cannot publish new pages. So, if you manage a site for a client, including billing, if your client wants to be able to publish new pages, they can also ring up new charges on your credit card. Which you have to detect, attribute, invoice and pursue, encouraging you to hand over site ownership to the client (and the relationship to Squarespace). Should Squarespace:

• Squarespace permissions are too basic and inhibit my ability to mediate websites on the platform
    • I'm happy to give clients Administrator access while I retain ownership, and monitor/invoice client-incurred charges as they arise
    • I'm happy to hand over site ownership to the client at the first opportunity, so the client can publish new pages and incur charges, even if that's before publication
  2. 2. The best way to support me to resell Squarespace platform, mediate management of the site, and retain my relationship with the client is to:

• Update Website Editor role with "Publish new pages" (and other comparable functions) permission
    • Add a new "Website Manager" role, that allows publishing new content (and other comparable functions)
    • Just decouple "Billing" from "Administrator", so I can attribute practical Administrator functions without exposing myself to lots of people having Billing privileges

Squarespace has too big a gap between contributor/managers and admin. ie Contributors can't add new pages (for example); they need full admin access, which includes billing privileges. Which is bad. Essentially, if I'm to give a client the ability to add their own content pages, I need to hand over ownership so my credit card is not wearing their purchasing decisions.

This suggests a cynical approach by Squarespace to increase purchases or leapfrog the reseller for a direct relationship with the end client.

This exposure – and lack of clarity on costs incurred and time to recoup from the end client – is the biggest impediment to us developing Squarespace websites for clients.

It makes Squarespace not fit for its core purpose: reselling a product (the website).

Squarespace has too big a gap between Website Editor and Administrator. ie Editors can't publish new pages (for example); Only Administrators – who have billing privileges – can publish new pages. Which is bad.

Essentially, if I'm to give a client the ability to publish their own content pages, I need to hand over site ownership so my credit card is not wearing their purchasing decisions. There is lack of clarity on costs so incurred, meaning too much time to recoup from the end client. Plus a need to anticipate these transactions and define terms in the contract.

The easiest win (ie a minimum), would be to de-couple Billing privileges from Administrator, so you could attribute Administrator, without Billing. Currently, selecting Administrator mandates Billing, even thought they're seperate privilege line items. But, ideally, either including the ability for Website Editor to publish new pages, or a new Website Manager role, is necessary.

This suggests a cynical approach by Squarespace to either increase purchases by the client ("Hey, I'm not incentivised to check if selecting this feature incurs costs; the reseller will let me know … probably"), or leapfrog the reseller for a direct relationship with the end client.

This exposure, or pressure to handover the account to Squarespace,  is the biggest impediment to us developing Squarespace websites for clients.

It makes Squarespace not fit for the purpose of reselling the platform while retaining the hard-won relationship with the client.

I've been asking for this since Squarespace 6, but there are no plans to improve it.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 months later...

I would add that administrators have access to domain parameters.  In the interest of security, access to domain parameters should be limited to two at most.  Because I want others to be able to add pages (and popups) I have to give them admin privileges.  But it their accounts are infiltrated, it's curtains for our domain parameters.

Dan