Ability to Enter Image Captions when Using Fluid Engine?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

3 minutes ago, ALADesigns said:

Where is the toggle located?

See this post:

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...

@paul2009 Running into this problem too, except I am using Fluid Engine to create an overlapping moodboard with captions, thus unable to go back to classic editor without a bunch of messy CSS to get the images how I like. The caption locations are not resizing appropriately for tablet or mobile or smaller screens (mobile I can adjust manually but not tablet or smaller screen sizes). Has there been an image caption solve for this yet?

Site:

https://www.alisonspada.com/work-iii-kc-copy/

• 7 months later...

I cant believe that Squarespace have dropped image captioning feature in 7.1 – Im furious. I recently built a site (not massive but big enough) and thought Ill get the captions and image credits in once its live assuming this would be feature that I just had to find and implement - now I find that I either have to rebuild the site entirely using classic sections, redesign to feature images as galleries (which I cannot do) or addd text boxes below or over every image (which will probably fall apart on phone view) .

Does anyone know why SS would remove this every day feature or better still have a decent workaround?

We should make feelings known to SSpace and get them to reinstate this functionality - pronto!

2 hours ago, Mazdep said:

Does anyone know why SS would remove this every day feature

There have been several comments on the dropping of the image block as we know it on classic.

A lot of the time I can't figure out why SS does the things they do or don't do. However I think in this case the reasoning is that you can replicate all the styles of the former image block using FE. Does it work as well? I can't say. Is it as convenient as a unit of elements that work together in a nice little package like the old image block, no.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 5 months later...

@paul2009 I did what you suggested in an earlier post: entered text blocks under corresponding image blocks. The problem is that while it looks great in desktop view, when I switch to mobile view, the images and text blocks get scrambled and do not correspond. Is there a way to lock elements together on the page so they look correct regardless of the device that's being used?

If not, is there a way to switch to Classic Editor once the section has been created, or do I need to start over? (yikes)

Thanks.
2 hours ago, raptra said:

The problem is that while it looks great in desktop view, when I switch to mobile view, the images and text blocks get scrambled and do not correspond.

This is how Fluid Engine has been designed to work. Once you have the perfect desktop layout, click the Mobile Preview button (top right) and then adjust the position of elements for the mobile layout.

This video describes this in more detail:

2 hours ago, raptra said:

is there a way to switch to Classic Editor once the section has been created, or do I need to start over?

You can switch a page section from Classic to Fluid Engine, but you cannot reverse this. If you want to use Classic, you'll need to add a new Classic page section. However, you can have a combination of Classic and Fluid Engine sections on the same page 🙂.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️ 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.