Ability to Enter Image Captions when Using Fluid Engine?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

I used to insert images and then add title and subtitle text which meant it would look good regardless of what platform the site was viewed on...now I can't find an option to add a title and subtitle anymore.  Has it been made defunct?  Thanks.

Edited by fiface89
Typo
  • Solution

Image Blocks only have captions on Layout Engine sections that have been built with the Classic Editor. Image Blocks do not have built-in captions when you are using Fluid Engine but you can manually add a caption by using a Text Block and placing it below the Image Block. You can drag both around the page together by drawing a rectangle around them both.

image.gif.b65906fdd1d62b43e28adad490e6ebb2.gif

Or you can add a "Classic" section instead of a "Fluid Engine" section. Classic sections have image captions. 

Edited by paul2009
added link

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Site URL: http://katemelvin.com

Site: http://katemelvin.com

On the desktop version of the homepage of my site, you used to be able to hover over an image and the caption would show. I did this through some custom CSS. But the text was just the regular caption text for an image block. With the recent upgrades, now there is no caption option. Am I missing something? Why did captions for images go away? Is there an alternative?

Help center article about adding a caption to images that now seems outdated?: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205826048-Creating-hover-effects-for-your-images 

Thanks!

Edited by katemelvindesign
4 minutes ago, katemelvindesign said:

With the recent upgrades, now there is no caption option. Am I missing something?

See the post above.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Site URL: https://www.restorationlandandlivestock.com/

Hi! I've just started experimenting with Fluid Engine - great so far. The only thing I had trouble with is adding captions to images. There doesn't seem to be a prompt or space for the caption under the image as in Classic Editor. I tried adding text directly underneath the image in a new row, but it didn't translate well to mobile. My solution to the problem (temporarily I hope) was to create the image with the caption in Canva and upload those as the new image. 

Also I seem to remember a webinar offered about Fluid Engine, but I missed it. Is it still available in a recorded format?

Thank you!

Jocelyn 

Thanks @paul2009 Unfortunately this does not help my situation. I had customized the CSS to make the caption pop-up on image hover. Specifically, when a user hover over the preview of a project I had worked on, my specific roles on the project were listed.

I guess the work around here would be to create individual images to hover over each project image and edit the CSS.

22 hours ago, katemelvindesign said:

Unfortunately this does not help my situation. I had customized the CSS to make the caption pop-up on image hover.

You'll need to use a "Classic" section instead of a "Fluid Engine" section. You can still add these by scrolling down to the end of the section types. 

image.thumb.png.b5591707a8b1c0b28188fb8c1265ff1d.png

Edited by paul2009

1 hour ago, Wolfsilon said:

When you put the block into your section, under the place-holder you should see italicized, "insert caption here" or something to that effect.

My section uses the new Fluid Engine, and image block captions are nowhere to be found.

• abc changed the title to [Fluid Engine 7.1] Wait, where did the Image Block captions go?? It's no longer possible to add captions to images?
5 hours ago, pro said:

Squarespace says it's possible to add captions to images in Image Blocks in Squarespace 7.1

See this post:

On 7/18/2022 at 1:08 PM, paul2009 said:

You'll need to use a "Classic" section instead of a "Fluid Engine" section. You can still add these by scrolling down to the end of the section types. 

image.thumb.png.b5591707a8b1c0b28188fb8c1265ff1d.png

Thanks for the response but when I add a classic section, it seems to tell me to upgrade to fluid engine at top left and there is no way I can add block to the classic section. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 10.40.08 AM.png

1 hour ago, EdithTan777 said:

when I add a classic section, it seems to tell me to upgrade to fluid engine at top left and there is no way I can add block to the classic section.

The upgrade button is shown on every classic section; this is completely normal. It gives users the option to change from classic to Fluid Engine.

Adding blocks to classic sections works like this. Instead of an 'Add' button in the top left you'll need to move your mouse pointer over existing blocks and then you'll see various 'insert points' (blue lines with plus signs) appear. Clicking one of these will add a block in that location. For example:

image.gif.0d72e87ac450a4422557465baeab63c1.gif

22 hours ago, paul2009 said:

The upgrade button is shown on every classic section; this is completely normal. It gives users the option to change from classic to Fluid Engine.

Adding blocks to classic sections works like this. Instead of an 'Add' button in the top left you'll need to move your mouse pointer over existing blocks and then you'll see various 'insert points' (blue lines with plus signs) appear. Clicking one of these will add a block in that location. For example:

image.gif.0d72e87ac450a4422557465baeab63c1.gif

Sorry I haven't used the classic editor before and it seems a little bit confusing to me. Once I added the image with poster, how do I resize each or move the images freely

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2022 at 5:46 AM, ALADesigns said:

I'm trying to do the same. Can you switch to classic layouts/editor without switching the site to version 7.0?

You can do this in 7.1.

7.1, you can toggle switch between Classic Editor & Fluid Engine, or use both on same page

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

3 hours ago, Lu_A said:

Is there any way to code text on hover in Fluid Engine?

Are you asking about image blocks? On FE, image blocks don’t have captions so it isn’t possible to show one on hover for these. If you have another case in mind, please provide us with a link to the page.