Sections missing (eg. design, settings etc) and paintbrush icon missing

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• Solution

@Lydia_does_design you haven’t been given the correct permissions.  You’ll need to get your client to change them to Administrator. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, Drewbernian said:

All of the videos I'm finding seem to be on Macs so I'm wondering if that's the issue.

SS did not design a macOS only system. So this is not a Mac vs PC issue.

Creatives may have a tendency to lean towards Macs but again that is not relevant to your issue.

Did you see paul2009's response and did that help? If not, please describe in detail the issues you are having.

Perhaps you are having a v7.0 vs v7.1 issue? Those two versions of SS work in slightly different ways. So if you watch a tutorial for v7.0 it is not going to necessarily work for a v7.1 site and vise versa.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Hey thanks for your reply. I don't think Paul2009's response helps me because I'm the only person on this website and I'm able to edit it in other ways. I've been looking through some articles since I posted and I think it's a 7.0 vs 7.1 issue. I'm using a 7.0 template so maybe that's why I'm not seeing the options I'm looking for. Based on what I'm reading I'm going to try to switch to 7.1 and see if that works. If I switch to v7.1 will I see things like the edit button on the top middle of the screen and the paintbrush option on the top right?

26 minutes ago, Drewbernian said:

If I switch to v7.1 will I see things like the edit button on the top middle of the screen and the paintbrush option on the top right?

Not sure about the top middle button of which you speak but the paint brush icons is part of the v7.1 interface.

572118913_ScreenShot2023-02-04at8_19_32PM.png.962ee1a6f03c20244d42e66caf4eb9ec.png

While switching to v7.1 will you give you the latest version of SS it won't solve the issue of using tutorials for a version of the site you are not working with. Many tutorials may not tell you which version of SS they are for.

In some cases an effect that is achieved on one version of SS can be applied to another version of SS. It just takes different code or setting to get there. If you end up in that situation, you can of course post here. State your goal and point us to a tutorial as an example of what you want to achieve. I can't guarantee an answer but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.