How to change the background of the default color theme?

Go to solution Solved by zab,

I can't find a way to change the color of the black area at the bottom of the page, that lies below the footer (in my case the footer is disabled). This is a problem, because the area covers the navigation arrows, when the window gets smaller. It seems that this area isn't a block, because it can't be selected in the edit mode, so it must be some kind of "background", but I can't find the appropriate entry in Design > Site Styles > Colors > Customize your themes, because I've already changed all entries there, but with no effect. Only one approach has an effect: selecting another color in Design > Site Styles > Colors > Edit Palette in the far right circle (read, 5th from left), but this changes other colors in my themes as well, so it's not a real solution.

Observed under Squarespace 7.1. This area also appears, if all CSS tweaks are disabled.

Site with PW "knockknock".

Edit: As it turned out, the black stripe was due to the background color of the global default color theme, as mentioned here.

For a solution see my answer below.

Edited by zab
  • Solution

Contrary to this article, it's actually possible to change the global default color theme for a site by using the mobile app of Squarespace! Just go to "site styles" > "colors" where you'll find the corresponding entry. It's a shame that this isn't mentioned in the official help section!

• zab changed the title to How to change the background of the default color theme?