What are the pros and cons of transferring vs connecting a domain to Squarespace?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://reed-puma-tbde.squarespace.com

Hi folks, I'm setting up my first SQSP website (so the above link isn't live) and a noob to creating websites.

I am at the point where I need to decide if I should transfer or connect my domain, which I own via GoDaddy. I read SQSP recommends transferring, but I'm having hesitations about it being tied to SQSP.

Some areas I have questions about for this decision include

• cost eg I think SQSP will cost more in future than GoDaddy, in which case staying there makes sense. However, in the first year I believe for an annual plan, SQSP will give a credit so that the transferred domain is essentially free (and I plan to sign up for 1 year)
  • Flexibility to leave SQSP in future - I have read some people have had issues moving their domains from SQSP, not sure how widespread that is though
  • What's in it for SQSP for them to recommend transfer? I've not seen any justification for their recommendation to transfer beyond managing it in the same area as my website - which hasn't been a paint point so far 
  • ease/speed of getting started - it sounds like connecting is easier and faster than transferring

I'd really appreciate your advice and/or your experience on making this decision. Thank you!

Edited by Dr_KMcB
  • Replies 7
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solution
14 hours ago, Dr_KMcB said:

I am at the point where I need to decide if I should transfer or connect my domain, which I own via GoDaddy. I read SQSP recommends transferring, but I'm having hesitations about it being tied to SQSP. What's in it for SQSP for them to recommend transfer? I've not seen any justification for their recommendation to transfer beyond managing it in the same area as my website

If you're happy managing your domain name using GoDaddy (or any other domain name host) then you can simply connect it. There's no need to transfer it. 

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Follow-up question - to Paul, or any other SQSP user who knows more than me (which is everybody) -

I only just found this forum, and this post.  I didn't know I had two options, transferring or connecting.  I *transferred* my domain already (from NetworkSolutions).

WHAT I WANTED:  I want SQSP to own/manage my domain name.  And I want it to point to my original website (hosted by a friend), including a few custom email addresses.

WHAT APPEARS TO HAVE HAPPENED:  my domain now points to an empty parking page, and my custom email addresses don't work.  My intention was to build a new website using SQSP, but I haven't done that yet.

How badly did I mess this up?  And how do I fix it?

Thanks for some help,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Squarespace hosted domains do not have thier own custom email, that is provided through google workspace for a fee. You can logon to squarespace custome domains and point your domain to your original website hosting service. If you provide the name of the hosting service of the site we can help you point your moved Squarespace domain to it. You do have the option of transferring your domain back to Network Solutions, which will reactivate your custom emails and site. Start a trial with squarespace, build your site and then if you wish point your domain to Squarespace or transfer it once your site is up.  

https://www.networksolutions.com/domain-transfer/?siteid=8&channelid=P99C8S570N0B5578A1D4488E0000V104&promo=6595994&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQiA95aRBhCsARIsAC2xvfzU0FtTiUNL8VymHKwbJ5E_fIVfFM71sc_JuBtPf412WXbx3nHVG4caApxyEALw_wcB

Edited by derricksrandomviews
  • 3 months later...

I am exactly in the same spot.  I have a current website, which I am replacing with a site I'm building on Squarespace.  I own the domain through Godaddy and am torn between transferring it to SQP or simply connecting it and leaving the hosting of the name in Godaddy.  Seems there are advantages to both.  But nothing overwhelmingly in favor either way.  One of the main things i want to do is have a one stop shop type thing, have a unique email, etc.  What are people's experience with either transferring or connecting?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey @TMPart I ended up connecting the domain I bought through GoDaddy. Kinda glad I did, as I suspect it will end up being costly to keep it through SQPS (esp given they keep increasing their fees so much). Connecting was pretty easy and it hasn't been an issue since I did it in January!