Character limit on form

Site URL: https://www.inspiredsm.com

Hello all,

Some kind soul gave me this a while back to limit the character count on a form. It's been working great for a few years, but suddenly stopped working. 

<span class="counter">700</span> characters remaining

I'm working in FIVE 7.0 and I have this code placed in the description of the form field. It's on this page: https://www.inspiredsm.com/2021-ba-judges-registration

Any ideas? Thank you for your wisdom.

16 hours ago, tuanphan said:

Try double-checking all the script code, to see if you edited/or accidentally deleted it.

Hi @tuanphan. Thanks for the suggestion. I checked again and that's all that's there. I checked on a previous year's form and that's all that's there as well. Maybe I did delete something by accident??

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 1:06 AM, Liza said:

Hi @tuanphan. Thanks for the suggestion. I checked again and that's all that's there. I checked on a previous year's form and that's all that's there as well. Maybe I did delete something by accident??

Hi,

You try this plugin.

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

9 hours ago, tuanphan said:

Hi,

You try this plugin.

Hi @tuanphan for this. I just bought the plugin and as it turns out, it's the same as the one I have (and isn't working). One thing I noticed on Squarepaste directions was that Ajax needed to be turned off. I'm in FIVE and I don't see where/if I can turn it off, according to SS's help pages.  Maybe it's on by default and I can't change that? Maybe SS changed this between the time the code worked and then when it didn't? (This would have been between summer 2020 and  summer 2021.)

Hi @Liza

I haven't taken a look at the counter yet as there are many other code snippets that have been added incorrectly to this site, and could be affecting it.

Some code is inefficient, some is duplicated and outdated versions of jQuery are being loaded (1.8.3 and 2.2.0), both of which have known security vulnerabilities.

I don't know if correcting these issues will resolve the specific problem you have with the counter, but I recommend that you correct these issues first as they will be affecting site performance and security. Once the code has been tidied up, you should be able to reach out to the developer of the counter plugin for support.

Edited by paul2009
typo

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.