CSS heading font shows as italic without related code?

Go to solution Solved by Vigasan,

Site URL: https://orion-template.squarespace.com/?password=demo

Hi all

In Site Styles I've got my heading font set to Source Code Pro, and I've added the below code to update H1 & H2 to Playfair Display:

h1, h2 {
  font-family: 'Playfair Display'
}

For some reason though the website displays these headings now as all italic when live or on the preview page.

When I go back into the editor it goes back to how I've manually set it (see screenshot attached).

Any ideas? I've been trying to dig through the web developer and just can't work out what's causing it!

Thanks in advance 🙂

italic example.PNG

Edited by CassAggett

If this helped you, please like or mark my solution as answer so others can scroll to it quickly 👆

Cass Aggett is a Squarespace website designer for go-getting women – no matter what stage of business.

WEBSITE • INSTAGRAM

• Solution

When I undo the font, it isn't italicized anymore. Do you have Playfair Display selected as the font for something on your Squarespace website? If you aren't using that font anywhere else, Squarespace won't load it onto your website and you have to load it manually within the CSS section.

If an answer I provide helps you, please mark it as the answer so others can easily access it as well.

I'm a Squarespace Authorized Trainer, Squarespace Expert, and Circle Member and I've been helping my clients as well as those here in the forum and in various Squarespace groups with custom coding and support for Squarespace websites. I would love to help you in any way I can.

Squarespace Plugins | Book Live Help | Squarespace Video Tutorials | Buy Me a Coffee

15 hours ago, Vigasan said:

When I undo the font, it isn't italicized anymore. Do you have Playfair Display selected as the font for something on your Squarespace website? If you aren't using that font anywhere else, Squarespace won't load it onto your website and you have to load it manually within the CSS section.

Thanks Vigasan, I couldn't find it anywhere else, only on the lock screen which I'd added afterwards. But I've changed all headings in Site Styles to Playfair Display and then updated the CSS to Source Code Pro just for H4 and that seems to have fixed it?!

If this helped you, please like or mark my solution as answer so others can scroll to it quickly 👆

Cass Aggett is a Squarespace website designer for go-getting women – no matter what stage of business.

WEBSITE • INSTAGRAM

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 3:34 AM, CassAggett said:

Thanks Vigasan, I couldn't find it anywhere else, only on the lock screen which I'd added afterwards. But I've changed all headings in Site Styles to Playfair Display and then updated the CSS to Source Code Pro just for H4 and that seems to have fixed it?!

Yup that'll work. In order to use Playfair Display in CSS, it has to be selected as a font for something else so that Squarespace loads the font onto the website first.

If an answer I provide helps you, please mark it as the answer so others can easily access it as well.

I'm a Squarespace Authorized Trainer, Squarespace Expert, and Circle Member and I've been helping my clients as well as those here in the forum and in various Squarespace groups with custom coding and support for Squarespace websites. I would love to help you in any way I can.

Squarespace Plugins | Book Live Help | Squarespace Video Tutorials | Buy Me a Coffee