[FreeShare] 7.1 Gallery Block Workaround

15 minutes ago, derricksrandomviews said:

I can add a normal gallery block to a portfolio project page section as well as a standard page section. I have complete control over the block, columns, layout all the normal things

If a circle member adds a gallery block to a page, regular users can continue editing and using the gallery block, probably even after the cicle member no longer has editor rights.

wouldn't it be possible for a circle member to add a gallery block to any section, then leave and the page owner can add that section to favorites?

Maybe then the regular user could paste the hearted section containing the gallery block into any page they want and then work with it?

I'd be willing to try this out, the gallery block seems to be such a useful feature 😞

I did not read far enough down the gallery block help guide, gallery blocks for non circle members can be added to any area of a 7.1 site where gallery sections are not supported including: 

• Blog posts
  • Individual events
  • Product items' Additional Info

It's not possible to add gallery blocks to any area with page sections, including:

• Layout pages
  • Collection landing pages (blog pages, events pages, portfolio pages, store pages)
  • Portfolio sub-pages
  • Footers

Circle members can add gallery blocks to all content areas in 7.1. Once they add the block, anyone with permissions to edit site content can edit the block. To learn about becoming a Circle member, visit Squarespace Circle.

I must confess that since I didn't know how it works, I assumed something was broken. 

Edited by derricksrandomviews

Update:

As a non-circle member there is a way to use gallery blocks on all pages:

A circle member needs to add a gallery block into a section on your page, they then can  be removed as editor.

Now, you can add the section with the gallery block to saved sections (little heart) and reuse it anywhere on your site.

Since you can't move blocks between sections, anytime you need a allery block, make sure to add the saved section including the block onto your page first and build the section from there. You can also duplicate the gallery block.

Edited by 2box
  • 4 weeks later...

I got a new Settings UI for the snippet, make it a bit easier for someone to follow 

image.thumb.png.15b708572970366803399b9bbc22d33d.png

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

• 2 months later...
On 3/16/2023 at 4:07 AM, 2box said:

Update:

A circle member needs to add a gallery block into a section on your page, they then can  be removed as editor.

Now, you can add the section with the gallery block to saved sections (little heart) and reuse it anywhere on your site.

Since you can't move blocks between sections, anytime you need a allery block, make sure to add the saved section including the block onto your page first and build the section from there. You can also duplicate the gallery block.

I wasn't able to find a circle member, but I understand things better now.  I was reading "section" and "block" interchangeably (from what I was used to in 7.0), but they are very different.  I would like a gallery block, but a gallery "section" will serve my purposes well enough.  If you add a section, and scroll down to "Images," then pick a generic layout.  The controls are a little different.  If you click "Edit Gallery" that's where you choose the photos, and "Edit Section" is where you can find the lightbox/ slideshow/ etc.

Hope that helps someone else! I've been pulling my hair out.  Then you can use BeyondSpace 's hack for the gallery block.  (My attempt was unsuccessful, but I don't have any more time now that the sections thing works well enough.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 6:07 AM, 2box said:

Update:

@2box did you try this and did it work? If so, would you be willing to share your contact for the circle member that helped you with this? I've been trying to find workarounds with this issue and nothing seems to work very well...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 6:05 PM, coral-studio said:

@2box did you try this and did it work? If so, would you be willing to share your contact for the circle member that helped you with this? I've been trying to find workarounds with this issue and nothing seems to work very well...

It did work. Ziggy kindly helped me and added a gallery block to my page for me

• 6 months later...

For those who are interested in Gallery blocks on 7.1 Sections, I have updated this solution to allow adding Gallery block back, check Classic Gallery block, free available 

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

14 hours ago, MoeCritiques said:

Unfortunately, this did not work for me because I am on a personal account. Is there anyway to get this to work on a personal account?

For the admin UI freebies, you can install it via Tampermonkey, which can help inject the user script into your website, follow steps in attached video. 

Note for Tamperscript: seeking for adviced if you are about to insert any of new scripts to your site

PS: in the tamperscript edit, make sure to update the @match line correctly, eg: your site url is https://denim-sturgeon-949p.squarespace.com/, then the value should be

// @match        https://denim-sturgeon-949p.squarespace.com/*

Edited by Beyondspace

@MoeCritiques let me know if it works!

Hi there! Complete newb and non-programmer here, but my myspace days of altering HTML have seemed to get me pretty far in life.

I added the code from your Classic Gallery Block page into my site footer, and was able to create a gallery block successfully, but then ran into 2 issues...1) image scaling/auto-cropping doesn't seem to work and 2) cannot reduce height after initial placement (which seems related to problem 1).

• 1) Images don't seem to actually auto-crop properly, leaving a blank section of the block itself that matches the section background color, depending on size/aspect ratio of the screen I happen to be on.
    • Initially upon placing the block, it seems to work for the screen I'm working on at that time properly cropping off the sides of my larger image, but then...
    • I've adjusted for desktop on my external monitor (which is wider than my laptop) and mobile, but due to fluid engine doing it's thing, when I move over to my laptop screen to see how it looks/scales it gets funky with said blank section. It seems to want to keep some sort of amount of space blank without letting the image fill the whole frame.
    • Mobile doesn't seem to zoom in at all, just makes the image fit into the block horizontally as opposed to zooming/cropping.
  • 2) If I play with toggling auto-crop on and off, and reduce the width, and various combinations of doing those two things, it eventually just makes the block shorter and I can then increase the height to where I want to put it.

image.thumb.png.ba6b69c8ca1eb94cf418d3cf9fbede51.png

image.png.5acbc1883e41d24c05ca8f4f69b23392.png

image.png.1f343231528cd0482891042fe41becd4.png

TIA!

@tuanphan do you mind to shed some light into this? I don't this has something to do with the Gallery blocks on 7.1 sections...

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

12-Mar-2024 Updates: 🔮

To install/update script, copy the snippet on the page and copy to your Footer injection

I just made some changes to Classic Gallery block, now it allows you to choose existing galleries, just like 7.0 did! You can create a Gallery block or Section on a blank page and the existing gallery will be available to choose.

If you have a dropdown name exactly `Classic Gallery Pages`, the code will look for pages inside that dropdown only, help reduce the time comparing to seeking gallery on all other pages...

This video show the feature in action

- 0:00 to 00:59 shows the content of the normal pages with galleries and how to choose the existing gallery in a gallery block

- 00:59 shows how a new page with gallery is created and it shows up on existing page list

Edited by Beyondspace

@MoeCritiques I'd like some feedback here!

17 hours ago, MoeCritiques said:

I will do what you did in the video, test it, and let you know what I find.  I ended up deleting my other gallery so I will have to recreate one but I don't mind.  

Did the script broke your gallery 🥵

10 hours ago, Beyondspace said:

Did the script broke your gallery 🥵

Hey Beyondspace.  No,  your script was perfect and is working  I was testing and using it for a pay that I had but then got inspired to do something else, which is why I deleted my original one, but I plan on re-implementing my gallery again on a new page/section.  I had so many ideas, but I needed to sit down and plot out what I wanted, so no, your script was PERFECT  

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, aldric said:

@Beyondspace

Hello Beyondspace,

I have done what you explain but gallery doesn't appear under image when I want to create a new block.

I had copy the code in the footer and a dropdown name exactly `Classic Gallery Pages`.

Thanks for your help!

Aldric

Have you refresh the site?

Also have you created blank page with gallery under that dropdown? Screenshot may help to debug

15 minutes ago, aldric said:

Hello BeyondSpace,

Please find attached some screenshots:

image.thumb.png.5d44626adb5e2be4a02c0c282af0365a.pngimage.thumb.png.7e81ca4977f766b945cb814fb8dc94c8.pngimage.thumb.png.d20d204a70f3c9870d4817da7322fe50.png

image.png

Things looks good on my end, just pm you