Setting homepage doesn't remove slug

• Replies 7
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe that solves the problem @derricksrandomviews

I'm having the same realization as @radishlab. Because every Squarespace page requires a slug, including any page set as the site's homepage/index, the result is a duplicate homepage:

One accessible at the conventional (and almost universally preferred 'mydomain.com/' and one accessible at 'mydomain.com/homepageslug' = duplicate pages/content.

I came upon this trying to find a way to get my site's sitemap.xml to not use my homepage's slug in the URL - something I don't want Google to index and list as I (and I expect most) don't use their actual homepage's full URL with slug as their homepage address.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe a step was left out though from the March 17, 2021 solution: at the end of the stated process, after the original homepage (now with a new slug) is reset as the homepage, you can revert to its original slug, thus giving your newly created redirect rule a page to redirect. That step allows you to override the "you can't redirect a page that already exists" rule which was essentially the problem.

So it's as if once a URL redirect in Squarespace takes hold, it will stay working. It's just not able to "take hold" — even though Squarespace allows you to add the rule to the URL Mappings list — if the page you're trying to redirect already exists. In other words, "/xyz" can be mapped to "/" as long as when such a rule is added to the URL Mappings list, "/xyz" doesn't exist. But if a page with slug "xyz" is created after the mapping exists (as in this case), the redirect will stay working.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

@derricksrandomviews

Hello, I have a question that I hope you can help me with. 🙂

I am setting my website and it is going to be a website with recipies. I created a home page and I am adding posts under this page.

However every post I create has a slug ''home'' or any other if I rename it. This causes that every post I creat has a slug in its URL.

For example, if my website was www.alexcooking. com every post that I create would have url www.alexcooking. com/home/applepie.

This is just an example.

I do not want this to happen. I would like that my recipies have this url www.alexcooking. com/applepie.

I cant customise url because the ''home'' cant be deleted from sustomised url.

I have already one website using wordpress and links are created automaticaly as the title of the post and that results in something like this www.alexcooking. com/applepie.

Can you help me to understand how to get the same in Squarespace?

Edited by AleksandraM
2 hours ago, AleksandraM said:

Every post I create has a slug ''home'' or any other if I rename it. This causes that every post I create has a slug in its URL. I do not want this to happen. I would like that my recipes have this url www.alexcooking. com/applepie. I have already one website using wordpress and links are created automatically as the title of the post

@AleksandraM On Squarespace all blog post URLs begin with the blog page URL slug. This behaviour is not something you can change. Of course you can use a different URL slug that matches your content, for example 'recipes' instead of 'home'.

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.