How do you add Image Alt Text to Section Backgrounds?

Go to solution Solved by tcp13,

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2023 at 9:35 PM, tuanphan said:

I guess we need to use code to add alt to section background image. If you still need, please share link to page where you added image + Let me know which text, we can give code

tuanphan, I'm sorry for the delay.  I was working on other parts of the site and I'm just coming back to this subject.  If an alt section could be included that would be fantastic.  The site I'm working on is: https://www.blueskyasianmassage.com/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Disappointed with Squarespace Support and Usability – Considering Alternatives

I've been really frustrated with Squarespace's support lately. Their only suggestion was to use the file name as the alt text for images, which clearly doesn't meet the usability standards we expect from such a platform. Given these limitations, I'm thinking about switching to another service and would recommend others consider doing the same if they're experiencing similar issues.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I'd also like to see the ability to add Alt Text to background images. After doing an SEO audit for a client's website, I'm now implementing all the recommended changes I made and have just come across the issue of not being able to add Alt Text to some of their images and now it's going to be embarrassing going back to them saying I'm not able to do some of the accessibility issues I harped on about!

After reading someone else's comment about Squarespace not moderating forum chats, I've sent them a request for this functionality via email. Hopefully they come back to me with either a workaround or let us know it's on their product roadmap...fingers crossed!

Edited by Charlicb
added extra message

Most background images are considered decorative. Version 7.1 use null alt text which is appropriate, here's more info: https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H67.html

If needed, you could add code to handle the alt text. But if an image is conveying important information, consider an image block for better user experience across devices.

And here's the answer marked as the solution with more info: 

Have SEO questions? Chances are we've written about it! Try a quick Google search to find our advice. Or for personalized support, see our consulting and training sessions.  Official Squarespace Experts since 2014