Redirect root domain to www subdomain

Site URL: https://www.maineinternet.community

My site is hosted elsewhere and the platform requires I add the www subdomain, which is fine with me. However, I want the root domain to automatically redirect to the www subdomain. All the settings I have tried do not work. The help instructions assume I am redirecting a subdomain and not the root.

How to I get things set so using maineinternet.community results in landing at www.maineinternet.community instead of producing an error the way it does now?

• Replies 4
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of the domain registrars provide a way to have anything that doesn't have it's own subdomain point to a particular subdomain. A catch all if you will.

In other words if someone typed in xyz.myexample.domain and that subdomain didn't exist then the registrar would redirect to www.myexample.domain.

Contact your domain registrars customer support for help or search their documentation.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Well, I seem to have stumbled upon a solution. According to http://wwwizer.com/naked-domain-redirect

I can set my root domain's DNS A record to point to 174.129.25.170 and their server will automagically redirect my root domain URL to my www subdomain. Since Squarespace has my www subdomain listed as my primary domain there are no other changes needed. (As long as wwwizer.com still operates.)

Most places indicate this redirect is a common one. Don't know why there was no ready answer to this from within Squarespace docs or forum. Don't know why Squarespace customer service never got back to me.

• 1 month later...

I run a virtual audience engagement platform (www.crowdpurr.com) that allows you to connect any domain directly to our servers using a CNAME record on www. But it also requires a redirect of the naked/root domain to the www subdomain so participants can simply type in somedomain.com

I was also unable to complete this for a customer using domains purchased and managed by Square space. It seems their domains are supposed to automatically/natively redirect to www. They do this in some cases on some browsers, but not all (e.g. MS Edge, Safari). 

I reached out to customer support (see attachment) and they said Square space doesn't currently allow you to do this and/or the logic in their DNS UI prevents you from doing this.  Which is a bummer because every other domain provider I've used allows this (and I've used almost all of them).

For now, we're telling our customers to use the above http://wwwizer.com/naked-domain-redirect redirect utility that does work as expected.

Square space Gods... please fix this.

Squarespace_Support.jpg

Archived