How can I remove the /p/ in my Product URL ?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://www.maikkleinert.com/digital-product/p/cinema-grade-discount-code

Hello,

Where can I change the Slug or URL so that I not the the /p/ in my URL links. I guess these are the product categories but can I remove this?

Website Shop link: https://www.maikkleinert.com/digital-product/p/cinema-grade-discount-code

I am looking for this option -> https://www.maikkleinert.com/digital-product/cinema-grade-discount-code

• Solution

TL;DR

Product URLs always include a /p/ before the customisable URL slug on Squarespace 7.1. You cannot remove or change it.

The "p" appearing in the browser's address bar shouldn't have any negative effects for customers or merchants. However, if you are coming to Squarespace from another platform and have previously used URLs with a different format, you can use URL mappings to redirect users from your old URL to the new one with the 'p'. For example, if both your old and new sites used 'store' as the store URL slug, and the same names for the products, you could use the following mapping to automatically redirect all old product pages to the new format:

/store/[name] -> /store/p/[name] 301

Longer Explanation

When Squarespace overhauled Squarespace 7.1 Store pages in 2020 with the launch of "Product Collections 2.0" they introduced a number of new features that laid the foundation for modern e-commerce experiences on Squarespace stores.

They increased the product limit from 200 products to 10,000 products on a single Store page and, to improve the experience for customers and merchants, they added support for up to 1000 categories and provided new SEO-optimized category URLs that didn't require URL queries. For example, a stationery store selling blue notebooks may have a category URL slug of /store/notebooks/blue instead of /store?category=blue.

To accommodate the improved SEO for online stores, they needed a way to distinguish individual product pages (known as Product Detail Pages or PDPs) so they added the '/p/' in the URL slug of PDPs. For example, if you had a product called "Notebooks" and a category called "Notebooks" then

• the category URL slug would be /store/notebooks
  • the product detail page URL slug would be /store/p/notebooks

Note that this forum is not routinely monitored for product feature requests but if you want to raise a feature request with Squarespace, you can open a ticket through Customer Care. They'll document your feedback and share it with the appropriate team.

Edited by paul2009
Added details of redirect

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

• 2 weeks later...

Site URL: https://www.theempathykit.com/shop/p/vapor-bath-and-shower-treatment

Super annoying. I recently upgrade to 7.1. I saw it was added but didn't realize I couldn't remove it later. Does anyone know the code on how to change it?

I could live with how stupid it looks, but the biggest problem is that it breaks every QR code that I have built into product labels! Now I have to recreate every QR code. I have dozens of products, so I'd need to buy more labels, ink, remove existing labels, put the new ones on if this issue isn't resolved. (And I have a feeling that once I did all that, SS would finally respond and change it back.) 

Sorry but I am angry. It was a lot of work to do the redesign. One more reason to move to another platform... 

• 3 months later...

I think I figured out the easiest work around for this. Do a 301 URL redirect as described here: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815308-URL-redirects#toc-format-redirects

In summary, you go to settings -> advanced -> URL Mappings -> add this to the box (obviously replacing "product1" with your products URL:  

/shop/product1 -> /shop/p/product1 301 

Then your old link will just redirect to the new URL. 

This doesn't get rid of it like the original poster was hoping for but can help avoid having to make a bunch of changes to old links (or physical QR codes like the second poster). 

• 3 months later...
On 2/12/2021 at 3:46 AM, vjkdesigns said:

Site URL: https://www.theempathykit.com/shop/p/vapor-bath-and-shower-treatment

Super annoying. I recently upgrade to 7.1. I saw it was added but didn't realize I couldn't remove it later. Does anyone know the code on how to change it?

I could live with how stupid it looks, but the biggest problem is that it breaks every QR code that I have built into product labels! Now I have to recreate every QR code. I have dozens of products, so I'd need to buy more labels, ink, remove existing labels, put the new ones on if this issue isn't resolved. (And I have a feeling that once I did all that, SS would finally respond and change it back.) 

Sorry but I am angry. It was a lot of work to do the redesign. One more reason to move to another platform... 

Trying to get rid of it too, no idea why would Squarespace even do that...

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Senseinsight said:

I am trying to change the URL from /shop/p/productname (i.e. possum earrings) to /shop/product/productname

As I stated above, product URLs always include a /p/ before the customisable URL slug on Squarespace 7.1. You cannot remove or change it.

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

Just ran into this problem too and it's absolute nonsense. Why did Squarespace do this and are there plans to undo this in the future? We need reasons, not "that's just the way it is", especially when we've promoted our products with specific URLs and suddenly they're changing. It looks sloppy, it looks like nonsense, and it doesn't give us a way to fix it. Please answer WHY not just that it happened and there's nothing we can do about it. 

13 hours ago, Thornwolf said:

Why did Squarespace do this and are there plans to undo this in the future?

This was to allow for new SEO-optimized category URLs that were introduced in 2020. It shouldn't have any negative effects for customers, the majority of who will never see individual page URLs as their browser will only show the site name or domain name. For more details see my post above.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
39 minutes ago, ShopOffWhite said:

Hello everybody,

there is a /p/ in all URL products now we have installed the new version 7.1

please see screen shot attached

hope someone could help

Best from south of France

Nelly

www.shopoffwhite.com

SQSP NEW BUG.JPG

You try this comment

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

52 minutes ago, ShopOffWhite said:

there is a /p/ in all URL products now we have installed the new version 7.1

As explained above, this is normal. You cannot remove it.

If you used the upgrade tool to upgrade from 7.0 to 7.1 it will have automatically created a URL mapping for you so that old 7.0 links are redirected to the newer format URLs. If you didn't use the upgrade tool, you can create a rule manually.