Display product description below products on the product overview (shop) page.

Hello all,

I was just wondering whether it is possible to display the product description text in the shop overview page? In my case it would be most useful to display that information inside the shop without having to go to the product detail page.

Since that information is already embedded in the product and accessible through 'summary'-blocks I tend to think that somehow this should be possible to do. Unless it is template-related?

Thanks!

Ziepe

forum.jpg

I was thinking there might be another way but not an insignificant amount of work with Javascript.

The Squarespace Developer API key could be used to call into the SS Products API and grab the product descriptions and put them on the main shop page.

Not particularly efficient and certainly not as nice as if SS provided some facility for this.

Folks if you want a feature like this it helps to contact SS and let them know. They can't implement features their users want unless they know what you want.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

50 minutes ago, Ziepe said:

@tuanphan Summary block are – out of the box and too bad – limited to 30 items.

@creedon Thanks, I'll look into that, also, contacted SS. Wating for a reply.

If you have a budget, you can use Lazy Summary plugin to remove the limit.

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

@chrisbartley I received the following answer from SquareSpace, to be honest not the answer I (we) hoped for:

At the moment, our Store Page offers the product thumbnail, pricing, and title. However, you could display the product information along with this data by using a Summary Block as you mentioned in your first reply.

Here's a video to help explain this process:
https://share.squarespace.com/YEuQYOwG

Here's a really helpful guide in case you need it:
https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013250848-Displaying-collection-items-in-Summary-Blocks

I hope this points you in the right direction and let us know if you have any other questions!

The solution offered by @tuanphan – using summary blocks and using the Lazy Summary plugin – seems to be the only quick-fix at the moment. 

Lazy Summary plugin
https://www.squarewebsites.org/products/lazy-summaries

• 11 months later...
On 1/12/2022 at 7:26 PM, KyleBHarmon said:

I was wondering if there was a way to display the product description along side the product title (1 product per row) on the store page?

Product List Pages cannot show product descriptions. This is unlikely to change and cannot be achieved with code.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, you can show products with descriptions by using

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.