Workaround to enable a clickthrough URL to a shop with lighbox enabled on a gallery

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for the response, that helped me figure out how to add a text link in the image description with lightbox enabled on an image block, but is there a way to do the same thing with a gallery where you have a large number of pictures with a caption on each one?

@Zawn: You can use image metadata to pre-fill the title and description/caption that will be displayed in the lightbox, and the description can contain HTML links. There's an option in Settings that tells Squarespace to import metadata as you upload images, documented here

Here's an example of imported HTML links in a lightbox: https://www.whitprint.com/catalog/emerald-print-exchange-2020
(Note that not all of these images have links in the captions.) I pre-filled the HTML for these 145 images, then uploaded them en masse. (Actually, in batches, because I've had trouble with sqs choking on mass image uploads.)

You'll need to use your photo mgmt app (e.g., Photos on Mac) to get HTML text into the image metadata. Or you can use one of the many tools that can wrangle EXIF/IPTC data. (I used 'exiftool' -- very nice for us old-timers who know our way around a Unix command line -- and it has a CSV input/output option, which meant I could set up my data in a spreadsheet .)

Archived