deleting the Squarespace domain after connecting my own domain

Hello Everyone,

I have connected my domain, and upgraded to the ecommerce plan. The connection was successful, however, I still have the Squarespace domain I was given for the trial. If I type in my domain it will direct to the site as it should, but then the domain name in the search bar will switch back to the "free trial" domain name with the lock to the left of it. I see a place where there is an option to "rename" the "free trial domain" but then it asks if I am certain because then something won't work... I just want to have my domain name that I connected and get rid of the first "trial" domain. Thank You So Much!! - Laura

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your site will always have a built-in squarespace domain name. That is how you access the editing functions on your website.

Your site visitors will always access your site from your custom domain. You can too. But if you want to edit. You will be directed to the built-in domain.

Don't give out your built-in name to your site visitors. Only give them the custom domain name.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having an issue with this. We have been on a custom domain for some time and the built in domain is still indexed in Google.

I notice the built in domain does not have a NOINDEX in the meta.

I do notice it has a canonical link reference to the custom domain and that the sitemap points to the correct path.

But I still need to get it unindexed and Google doesn't look keen to remove it.

Is there a way to add Meta NOINDEX to the built in domain?

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2020 at 9:54 AM, JonathanHarrison said:

I am having an issue with this. We have been on a custom domain for some time and the built in domain is still indexed in Google.

I notice the built in domain does not have a NOINDEX in the meta.

I do notice it has a canonical link reference to the custom domain and that the sitemap points to the correct path.

But I still need to get it unindexed and Google doesn't look keen to remove it.

Is there a way to add Meta NOINDEX to the built in domain?

I'm having this same issue. I'm going to make a new post about it but I wanted to check here first to see if you have resolved the issues. 

Bing, yahoo, and duckduckgo all show my "custom" domain but google still shows my old built in domain. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived