Updating template to Wav

Site URL: https://nataal.com/

Our site is running on the Shift template, which is part of the obsolescent Marquee family.

We have decided it needs a refresh and a currently supported template.

Our designers like Wav from the Brine family, and I have been investigating it for the past week or so.

I think, with a lot of code blocks and custom CSS, I can make it look like what they want, but I don't think Wav sits too well with their suggested revised design.

However, the BIG problem, as I see it is what happens to our 800+ existing pages.

Each one has a header in very large type and a sub-header which are taken automatically from the "page title" & "page description" respectively in the Page Settings > General for that page. This does not seem to happen with Wav, and would be a show stopper as no way are we going to be able to retrofit 800 pages with a header code block. Have I missed a switch somewhere which turns this feature on?

Under Wav, only a 100 px high strip of the header image for each page is displayed, I imagine that I will be able to fix this with some CSS, but I dare not try this when looking at Wav in Preview mode as any changes will reflect through into the live site. Hence I've had to use a temporary test site which is about to expire after 14 days for the majority of my development.

Can anybody suggest a supported template that does take it's header and sub-header text from the Page Settings? 

Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Views 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, tuanphan said:

You can duplicate your site to test. You will have 14 day trial (you can contact Squarespace Customer Care to extend to 28 day trial).

Thanks tuanpnan,

Good to know, but I think we have taken this current exercise as far as we can. I've read more about available 7.0 templates and  since Brine, and therefore Wav does not support displaying Page Title and Page Description from Page Settings, it is not backwards compatible with our 800+ existing pages. It's been a useful exercise in showing our designers what's possible, but I think we must start again, either with another SquareSpace 7.0 template (Momentum seems worth investigating along with a few others) or look to a custom template from a 3rd party.

Even with Shift we have several hundred lines of custom CSS and every page has at least 2 code blocks, often more, so a bespoke template may be the way to go.

If you are trying to replicate Marquee/Shift on a newer template, Squarespace recommend a Brine-family template.

With some tweaks in Site Styles you should be able to copy most features from a standard Marquee site, without needing code. To demonstrate that this was possible with Brine, Squarespace built the Basil template, copying the design of many original pages. 

Brine-family templates are much more configurable that Marquee-family templates, so if you are refreshing your site's design, you may find that you don't need much of your custom code.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Archived