Font weight not responding

Go to solution Solved by christyprice,

7.1.  Added a tagline under title, using custom css.  All good with colour, size, but font weight won't respond to any changes I make. I tried changing it to font-weight !important but that did nothing either.  Please advise.  

a#site-title:after {
    content: "wax | silver | gold";
    display: block;
font-size: 15px;
    font-family: proxima nova;
    margin-top: 15px;
    font-weight: 500 px;
    text-align: left;
      color:#959595;
      text-transform: lowercase;
}

• Solution

Hi @CanadaSue,

Font weights don't have px. So it would just be something like

font-weight: 500 !important;

Not all weights are supported on all fonts, so fiddle around with the 500 to 700, etc.

christyprice.com  🇺🇸 Austin, TX US 

Get my 100+ item Client Process Checklist for $17.
📔 Flourish Journal for Creative Entrepreneurs - 365 days of prompts
🎥 Watch Circle Live: Hello Income (feat. Christy Price and Jeremy Schwartz)
🎬 Watch It's Not Hard to Say Goodbye: Crafting Client Offboarding from Circle Day 2023

• 2 years later...
On 4/9/2020 at 4:48 AM, christyprice said:

Hi @CanadaSue,

Font weights don't have px. So it would just be something like

font-weight: 500 !important;

Not all weights are supported on all fonts, so fiddle around with the 500 to 700, etc.

Hi guys, 

I'm having this problem on 7.1 also, but in my case, I'm not including px by accident. 

The code I'm using is simply 

h3 {
    font-weight: 400 !important;
}

But it's just not working. I'm rebuilding the site for my client. The font they have, Futura PT works on 400 on their current SS 7 site, but on SS 7.1, the font only responds to any change in weight if I put the number up over 500. So for example 501 works. But it stays the same from 501 through to 800 - doesn't get any bolder. I'm so confused why it's not working? Any ideas would be really appreciated. 

The site is https://seal-potato-w634.squarespace.com/ Password is TEST. 

Thanks!

Hi @MadebyMarkham. I'm seeing exactly what you see. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for you... but I'm wondering if this might be a bug with Fluid Engine? Have you tried recreating that section in Classic Editor?

christyprice.com  🇺🇸 Austin, TX US 

Get my 100+ item Client Process Checklist for $17.
📔 Flourish Journal for Creative Entrepreneurs - 365 days of prompts
🎥 Watch Circle Live: Hello Income (feat. Christy Price and Jeremy Schwartz)
🎬 Watch It's Not Hard to Say Goodbye: Crafting Client Offboarding from Circle Day 2023

I'm not a font expert and this might not even be the issue but as I understand it all fonts do not have to have all weights defined. In other words the weights supported are up to the font creator.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/font-weight

When you specify a weight that is not supported there is a formula to pick a fallback weight.

Why a font weight might work on v7.0 and not v7.1 might be down to the two fonts are not actually the same font file. As with all software there are versions. And in the case of fonts different companies have their own versions of a particular font family.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

On 8/1/2022 at 2:15 AM, christyprice said:

Hi @MadebyMarkham. I'm seeing exactly what you see. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for you... but I'm wondering if this might be a bug with Fluid Engine? Have you tried recreating that section in Classic Editor?

Hey @christyprice thanks for the idea. I'll give that a try. And thanks @creedon you could be right. My clients will just have to cope with whatever font I can make work for them. I wouldn't mind so much if I wasn't trying to recreate the site to be identical for them. 

Cheers guys!

• 2 months later...

Oh man, did you guys ever solve this for 7.1?

I also need Futura at 800 weight but it's not working in any text blocks (I think 400 or 500 is the limit even though 800 is an option).

My header 1 text is set to 800 using Futura. In my site navigation header the font (using header 1) is looking great at 800 (my site navigation header has the website/company name displayed).

The big bummer is that I'm trying to make a simple landing page with a video background with the same matching website /company name at 800.  Because the weight is not working in the landing page (via text blocks) the side name looks very different (the weight makes it almost look like a different font) between the landing page and the rest of the site. 

In 7.0, the template/theme I used (Wells) previously had a prebuilt landing page that used the header 1 settings (it was also set at 800) and so the font looked perfect there too. I've upgraded to 7.1 tho. 😞

Is there a way I can use CSS code in the advanced settings of the landing page or anywhere else to override the lighter weight? 

Update:  I found a workaround for the meantime.

I stopped working in the blank section that I created on the blank page (later trashed it) and added a new page from the "page layouts" option. Before selecting the new page from those options, I found a pre-formatted page that successfully displayed the 800 weighted font in large sized letters that I needed. From there, I stripped everything out that I didn't need including the header. 

Still interested in knowing if there are other fixes to this.

Thanks!