Image formatting to improve page speed

On 4/2/2021 at 6:56 AM, Susana_SQSP said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the valuable input! For any feedback that you would like to be logged, contacting our Customer Support team would be the best approach. As per section 6 of the forum guidelines we don't track feature requests in this forum. 

For those looking for if Squarespace is as good as Wordpress for SEO, no it's not. This thread is proof.

On 4/2/2021 at 10:56 PM, Susana_SQSP said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the valuable input! For any feedback that you would like to be logged, contacting our Customer Support team would be the best approach. As per section 6 of the forum guidelines we don't track feature requests in this forum. 

There appears to be no way to contact Squarespace and raise this concern. Very disappointing. Since the latest Google Core update, loading speed (including image file size) has been an extremely high priority and has severely reduced our traffic. Why on earth isn't SS prioritising this? 

Hey There SQ platform developers. I'm nudging this thread to request that you enable support for WebP and JP2. For the sake of load-times on us portfolio-displaying creatives, we need to show more work than the 5mb "suggested size" currently allows. I'm looking at images sized 1500px on the long edge that are 400-600kb as JPEGs vs. 40-70kb size when converted to WebP.

Let's get ahead of the curve here, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I feel a deep sense of sadness witnessing the ongoing absence of this implementation. As someone who wholeheartedly supported SquareSpace for their remarkable dedication during the 9/11 incident, it is disheartening to see that they seem to have lost their touch. I cannot comprehend the reasons behind their lack of progress, from the absence of a clearly defined upgrade path for version 7.0 to the omission of crucial features like this. It is genuinely disappointing, and I find myself pondering what has become of SquareSpace.

24 minutes ago, tfraley said:

from the absence of a clearly defined upgrade path for version 7.0

Please see Moving from Squarespace version 7.0 to version 7.1. As a Circle Member you may want to peruse the thread in the Circle Forum that announced this feature for some ins and outs.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Where is Squarespace on the support of WebP and AVIF images? Our SEO is being decimated with the limitations of PNG, JPG and GIF as your only supported formats.

Even Squarespace 7.0 was better than 7.1. I am being forced to script buttons to work in specific areas of the <header> because of the limitations of 7.1 design limitations. Between forcing the use of scripting and poor performance with old graphic formats, Google Ads are plummeting in value for our company.

Help!

1 hour ago, Joel_Legal said:

Where is Squarespace on the support of WebP and AVIF images?

SS has not announced any official plans to support WebP or AVIF that I'm aware of.

Please see the following.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Just adding another vote for WebP here. 👋

I've migrated a few sites from Webflow to Squarespace for the ease of use that SQSP provides, but we've seen a big dip in our SEO rankings across the board

My page-load speeds using both Pingdom and PageSpeed Insights are really poor. This same page is built in Webflow (with all the same assets, but the images are  WebP) and the scores are drastically different.

Squarespace: 
Mobile: 31
Desktop: 47

Webflow: 
Mobile: 89
Desktop: 91

Any update from the team on this would be greatly appreciated! 

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 12.05.23@2x.png

Justin Veenema
Creator FrameworksBrand Stories™ 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 2:09 PM, JustinVeenema said:

Just adding another vote for WebP here. 👋

I've migrated a few sites from Webflow to Squarespace for the ease of use that SQSP provides, but we've seen a big dip in our SEO rankings across the board

My page-load speeds using both Pingdom and PageSpeed Insights are really poor. This same page is built in Webflow (with all the same assets, but the images are  WebP) and the scores are drastically different.

Squarespace: 
Mobile: 31
Desktop: 47

Webflow: 
Mobile: 89
Desktop: 91

Any update from the team on this would be greatly appreciated! 

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 12.05.23@2x.png

They aren't going to fix this any time soon. Squarespace has been aware of this for YEARS.

Switch to Wordpress or more SEO friendly site managers/builders.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2024 at 7:11 PM, emm.farines said:

Hi all,

This has now been raised as a feature request. If you haven't done so already, please go and vote for it here:

Very happy to hear Squarespace might finally address this, but the links in your post are giving me permissions errors, and I can't figure out how to find the "Vote on Feature Requests" section of Squarespace anywhere. 

How did you find that originally?

13 hours ago, emm.farines said:

Hi @Pixeltender, I accessed it from this article: https://forum.squarespace.com/topic/256625-introducing-circle-feature-requests/

Hopefully you'll get more luck this way 🤞

Thanks for following up! I still get a permissions error, but I've worked out that you must have to be a Circle Member to view and vote on this... so then I learned what Circle Members are and signed up to be one!

All in the name of .webp! (and .svg!)

For anyone else unfamiliar, you can sign up here https://www.squarespace.com/circle

The requirement is that you've built or contributed to at least 3 Squarespace sites.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone help me as I am trying to upload the images of e-com products on my website in webp format it is saying that this file is unsupported do i need to convert in jpg or png and compress it for better pagespeed  anybody knows the solution!

2 hours ago, Jack_Will said:

i need to convert in jpg or png and compress it for better pagespeed  anybody knows the solution!

WebP is not supported on SS and you have to convert to another format like JPEG or PNG.

• 3 weeks later...