Image formatting to improve page speed

Been following this thread for over 2 years now. STILL NO WEBP! - It's absolutely shocking to me. Wix's presence at BrightonSEO and their focus on SEO improvements is making it harder and harder to recommend Squarespace to clients. No .webP support is seriously hurting right now.  I'm not sure I can justify recommending SS anymore. Sad and annoying.

• 2 months later...

Squarespace still hasn't implemented WebP support while places like Wix automatically convert to WebP when using certain galleries because there are only advantages to WebP (See study here).

Where are Squarespaces priorities, it's been two years from when someone first brought it up in this forum.

Edited by Brandon05
Spelling
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2022 at 12:19 PM, Brandon05 said:

Squarespace still hasn't implemented WebP support while places like Wix automatically convert to WebP

I develop on Webflow which supports webp. But, I have a large commerce site in sqsp 7.0. I sell photography. Webp is a pretty big deal if I can cut out 2/3 of the site's meat.  

I'm looking at a few files I did for comparison. The jpeg fed into jpegmini is 1.3MB. The webp at 65 compression is 500KB. I do a compare and there's not a noticeable difference in quality.

RE: Fluid Engine and 7.1 in general, It's clear that Squarespace's mission is: "Design anything without knowing how to design". Feels like it makes designers' lives harder but I need to probe further into FE. 

IMG_4163.jpg.jpeg

Edited by seanhoyt
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It does seem that this thread has been going on for a bit too long now without an update for this...   especially as the platform themselves use WebP as the format for their primary image on their website.  This does seem like it's time for some sort of support, so that we can all benefit from the advances that they themselves seem to see the value in.

Any update about Webp?

Over 3 years now and STILL no .webP support from squarespace. All browsers now support the format. Our competitors are killing us on page-loading performance and ranking higher in search results. So, thanks SQSP for perpetuating the FACT that your platform is bad for SEO. 

It's infuriating that you utilised .webP on your own home page but deny it for your own customers!
https://media-www.sqspcdn.com/images/pages/homepage/jun-2022/hero/nina/background/background-3-375.webp

Shameful and demonstrates the contempt you have for us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi I have also come to this page in search of a solution to the fact that I am unable to upload Webp image types. The thing is that the speed of my page loading is causing my website to have completely lost its sales. I am a small business owner, who is also a single parent family trying to put food on the table and a roof over our heads. The fact that my page performance is showing 29% for speed performance and over 90% for all other scores such as accessibility, SEO and Best practises. I worked so many hours and so hard to achieve this but I am at a loss now. Loosing money and losing customers. Surely not having this function at this stage makes square space not fit for function and we should get some kind of compensation for our losses and the work we have put in. Especially as all these requests have not even been acknowledged. 

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 22.51.50.png

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 22.51.56.png

Screenshot 2023-05-22 at 22.52.28.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone, 

Tired of coming back to this thread periodically and waiting for Squarespace to implement .webp, I have raised a feature request in the support section, underlining that it was adding salt to injury to see that the current Squarespace website's home page is using a .webp image.

I've received the following response:

We don't currently support the upload of .webp images, but I've sent your suggestion to our development team on your behalf. While we can't guarantee implementation of every suggestion, customer feedback is an important part of how we continue to improve our platform, so we appreciate your input.

Perhaps if all of us request this then the message will get across?

Edited by emm.farines
On 8/25/2023 at 4:42 PM, inkfly said:

...Every single browser (except IE) can use .WebP. 

This isn't a browser issue but a server side issue and I suspect a low adoption rate (at present) issue.

On the server side SS would have to add another image format parser and compressors to handle the multiple images SS creates everytime you upload an image file.

As I understand WebP usage rates as of this date less than 10% of sites use the webp format.

SS may feel that such a low adoption rate doesn't justify the effort to update their image processing stack.

Don't get me wrong! I want WebP too!

Here is an interesting note. If you (royal) were using a traditional web service, where you uploaded files to a server, this wouldn't even be an issue. Those old school systems are fairly neutral as their main job is to serve files out to the clients. So when a "new" file format comes along, the servers don't care they just pump it out. It's up to the client to interpret the file and render it if it can.

Of course SS is not old school and insultates you from a lot of the madness of old school web serving. SS being a high level web service has some downsides and this webp issue is one of them.

The only thing I can suggest is contact customer support and get your feature request in the queue.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 month later...