Website Backup

Hi,

Thank you for the help in advance!

I can't seem to find the most updated information regarding website backup. If you can assist with the following.

Considering I'm not web developer - how do I backup my website to prevent data loss, or is this already being backed up by Squarespace? If no, will I need to contact an external company to assist with the website back up or is this an additional service Squarespace is already providing?

Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
1 hour ago, JoshCarlos said:

i asked for a product page to be reinstated and it cant.

It depends what you mean by a "product page".

When Squarespace describe a "Product Page" they are referring to a "Collection" of products. Within this Product Collection, you will have many individual products - up to 10,000 on Squarespace 7.1. 

You can restore an entire Product Page (containing many products) if you have deleted it from your site in the last 30 days. If more than 30 days have passed since you deleted the page, it cannot usually be restored.

You cannot restore an individual product. When you delete a product, you are asked to confirm removal before it is deleted. Once you confirm deletion, individual products can't be recovered. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hello everyone,

I am thinking of switching our company's website from Wordpress to Squarespace. However, one of the biggest setbacks is the version control issue. Besides a few articles in 2013/2014, one other one in October 2019, and this one, there doesn't seem to be too much information about it. There are many reasons why I want a version controlled website (human error, broken plugins, loss of content, etc etc) and I cannot recommend Squarespace to my manager if I can't ensure them that our content will be recoverable and safe. I believe that, just like our computer data, the website data (including but not limited to pictures, videos, documents, information, design, colors, layout etc) should be backed up at a minimum weekly, if not daily. I make changes on the website's content fairly often and integrate new plugins as required (in Wordpress). I know that Squarespace doesn't require that many updates etc, but just for piece of mind, I want to have a clear answer. I would gladly pay for cloud storage space and/or the service of backing up the website. The storing of information doesn't have to go back to the beginning of time, maybe just a couple of months back, and be scheduled to back up the site once a week, or once a day, however the client prefers.

Please let me know if this is at all possible?

Thank you,

Mina

40 minutes ago, Minaakbar said:

There are many reasons why I want a version controlled website (human error, broken plugins, loss of content, etc etc) and I cannot recommend Squarespace to my manager if I can't ensure them that our content will be recoverable and safe. 

Please let me know if this is at all possible?

Squarespace sites are hosted across multiple servers with full redundancy. Site owners don't need to worry about backup and maintenance, knowing that Squarespace can fully recover their site if it fails for any reason. This reassurance suits Squarespace's target market. However, it may not suit you if you require version control and point in time backups, because these are simply not possible.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 weeks later...

a product page is a product page, i.e. individual.

a collection page is a collection page.

it's quite easy to delete an individual 'product' page, even with the warning.

the current structure when editing a product is that it lies within a lightbox. 

when adding additional information or variants, it is all done in this lightbox.

it's clunky to do this, makes editing hard.

also looking at this lightbox I would not consider the full removal of the product possible.

only the variant.

but anyway...

Archived