How can I edit a live webpage without causing chaos for the page's visitors during my editing session?

Go to solution Solved by Scoobie,

• Replies 44
  • Views 87.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is certainly a workable solution as far as I'm concerned. Thanks to the Squarespace developers who put the "copy" function in place (better late than never)!

continued in next comment...

With that said, KevinOlsen brings up a good point that this does not address the need to allow for making changes to site-wide things like CSS without causing chaos during your development and testing of the altered CSS -- still a huge problem, and one that may not be solvable in this iteration of Squarespace (version 6), since they may well have painted themselves into too many corners to properly provide for this without a complete overhaul.

continued in next comment...

...But, my original question only focused on the development lifecycle for individual pages, and as far as I'm concerned, this issue has been successfully addressed (assuming the new "copy" function works without a hitch)!

• 1 month later...

From what I have experienced, if you are editing a page in admin area and don't click 'save changes' it won't be live on the site. What would be very useful is a 'save draft' function, so that you 'save changes' when 100% happy rather than risk loosing work incrementally.

• 1 year later...

Wow, two years has passed and Squarespace team has not provided any answer to this question even thought it is one of the most voted question. Gives perspective to how this “Answers” section works.

Edited by ninnu
  • 5 months later...

So this thread is now over 2 years old, but I haven't seen any new functionality to enable page or site-level edits that don't immediately impact the live production site. It seems like two elements would make this issue so much easier to deal with:

1. A distinction between "saving" changes and "publishing" changes. Wix does this, it's dirt simple and works extremely well.

2. The ability to create a copy of an entire site, in the case that you wish to do a major overhaul while preserving a copy of the existing site in case minor changes are required while work progresses on the "new" site.

Any news on what is planned or how the above can be "accomplished"?

• 1 year later...

I solved this problem by writing a javascript code that disables the site for visitors and shows them a message saying the site is down for service. It's not a perfect solution since the site won't work while editing, but it's better than showing a weird/broken page.

See the tutorial and code here.

Freelance Squarespace developer making plugins like Full-Width Blocks, Hover effects for grid gallery and the Darkmode plugin. I know Squarespace inside out and I'm able to solve pretty much any Squarespace code problem.

Get in touch here!

• 3 weeks later...

Just take a copy of that page and edit it offline and test it offline with Xampp and replace with your old one. I always do like it on my whatsapp website and it always works very well.I hope you like it.

Hi this is Alia, I works for websites, i do make websites. You let me know if you have any problem while making any type of website, will be always there to help you with my skills which i got in my 6 years of learning and experimenting with lots of websites. I even had worked on big websites like Forbes, Mashable, IBN etc. This is a personal website of someone on which i do work, I work on this section only, whatsapp love status where i do provide whatsapp love stuff to post on whatsapp daily.

• 2 months later...

It's not perfect but how about the following:

1. Create a cover page that has a "Website down for maintenance" message.

2. Create a temporary url redirect (302) to redirect the all pages to the maintenance page. This will tell Google it's a temporary change and not a permanent one (https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815308-Creating-URL-redirects)

3. Make the edits to your pages. Test.

4. Remove the temporary url direct. Go-live.

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...

more than 5 years on from the original post, still no response. I actually find squarespace very easy on the whole but this is a major issue. so I basically cannot change my site at all without users seeing all sorts of crap on the live page?The copy pages solution kind of works but is pretty crappy. Apart from the hassle of copying numerous pages, it is going to screw up a whole bunch of url links as well.

This really should be a simple thing to sort out.

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Just here to +5000 this request! Have been revisiting this post occasionally for years hoping to have seen some traction. If you’re doing a full refresh of your site, including the nav and all, there’s no way to do this cleanly and makes the redesign process so much harder than it needs to be. Help, squarespace! 

• 3 months later...

Still looking for a solution....  I want to rebrand a customer site and have a major refresh. Being able to backup, work on a draft/development version, test and then make live is essential for all but minor tweaks.

I know we can duplicate a site but I don't see how we can restore or copy the new version back.

Maybe Squarespace are not monitoring this thread because it is marked as answered in 2013?

• 9 months later...

REMOVE THE SOLVED LINK! This issue has yet to be resolved, as the functionality of this wash bucket hasn't been intentionally altered in a cohesive way for over 7 years. Did I get that right?! Holy what the what? Can we get some attention and love here? If not, I'll be cancelling soon and moving over to Wix or Wordpress where I'm able to actually design intelligently. I know this was designed for monkeys, but after reading this thread I'm feeling like SS's target market is shrimp. What the what?!