How to automate blog post thumbnail and excerpt

Hi there,

I just made my first blog post and noticed in the blog page, where all my posts would be listed, that there was no post thumbnail or excerpt, just the title and metadata.

Now, I know how to add a thumbnail and excerpt, by going into settings>content for each individual blog post.

I just really don't want to do it for each individual blog post. 

Especially because it won't let me choose from my library of uploads to the website, I have to go back into my phone or computer files to scroll and find the exact picture I want as a thumbnail, again.

Please tell me there is a way to tell Squarespace to always use the first image and first sentence or two of the post as the thumbnail and excerpt for every post. I plan on my thumbnails just always being the first photo in the post anyway, and if I change my mind I can always go in and upload something else.

I can't find any answers to this from searching, I'm getting a lot of related solutions but nothing for this one. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 2
  • Views 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/11/2024 at 6:21 PM, notyourginger said:

Especially because it won't let me choose from my library of uploads to the website, I have to go back into my phone or computer files to scroll and find the exact picture I want as a thumbnail, again.

You can choose from your image library for your blog post image! Don't need to upload a new image.

Blog Post Settings > Content > Search for Images

image.thumb.png.5d994685716e99a82acf06b885a6dfbf.png

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

Melody | Squarespace Nerd
e: melody@melodylee.tech

💻 💁‍♀️ 1-2-1 Squarespace Training session <- feeling stuck and want to learn?
👩‍💻 💁‍♀️ Website help <- send me your to-do list. From code to plugin to domain setup.
🧰 See the tools I use (contain affiliate links)
 Did I help? I like coffee (Thank you)

Unfortunately SS has not tried to unify the image upload/library search UI across its various feature offerings. In places it feels tacked together and features are easily missed.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.