How do I improve my ranking in google

How do I improve my ranking on google.  Google has indexed the pages on my site but unless I search for my site directly it does not come up under "Feng Shui Consultants"   

Thanks,

mjgdesigns.com

Madeleine

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

You have cast a very wide net; there are literally thousands of results.

For starters, have you tried 'Feng Shui Consultants near me'? Check if your page is using keywords that will get you recognized in your local area. If not, start by concentrating on getting your SEO pages and home page driving local traffic, then go from there.

Use a free browser SEO plugin like Ahrefs to allow you to see if your pages have the correct SEO titles, descriptions, and content. It is a slow and methodical process. Small steps...

Edit: I just looked at your site with Ahrefs plugin, and your site title contains 'Feng Shui Consultations', not 'Feng Shui Consultants' so you need to work on keywords for sure. In addition, your home page title ('FENG SHUI CONSULTATIONS FOR GOOD FORTUNE!') ought to be h1, and yours is h2. This can have an impact on search results.

Edited by PoochKingdom

Hi all. Yes it is best practice to use H1 as the main heading on a page for clarity and structure. But it's also important to note that Google is sophisticated enough to understand the context and relevance of content even if the main heading is H2. Tools often overemphasize this, more info here: https://www.collaborada.com/blog/h0gw4sh

Regarding keywords, Google will understand "consultations" and "consultants" as related. As an example, I just searched "Feng Shui Consultants near me" and the first result's title tag is "__ Feng Shui Consultations." That site was also on Squarespace 😃

Most local businesses benefit from a Google business page: https://www.collaborada.com/blog/google-business-profiles

We can help fine-tune things in a quick zoom if needed. Good luck! 

Have SEO questions? Chances are we've written about it! Try a quick Google search to find our advice. For fast and personalized support, see our Zoom sessions.  Official Squarespace Experts since 2014 

• 4 weeks later...

hi @mjgdesigns, a lot of being successful in search results revolves around creating content that helps best answer a search query. To do this, you want to think about what outcomes people are looking for and balance that with how they would search to find your services. Here's a guide that talks about this process in more depth, hope you find it helpful 😄 https://tinycoastdigital.com/content-marketing-and-seo