What's new at Squarespace — May 2024

Check out everything new that happened at Squarespace in May below. Which updates are you most excited about? 

Commerce

Offer subscription and one-time purchase options in the same product listing 

You can now offer one-time purchase or subscription options on the same product on version 7.1 sites. The purchasing options will be listed under the product description. 

With this update, you can streamline your store pages, making it easier for customers to compare options and buy product subscriptions. Keep in mind, you don’t have to list your products this way if creating separate products works best for you.

Prior to this update, you needed to add separate products for each purchasing option. As a note, if you already have subscriptions and one-time purchases set up this way on your store, they’ll continue to work as normal. 

Learn more about adding a subscription option to your products

Sell digital products on all website plans 

You can now sell digital products (gated content, such as: Courses, Member Sites, Blog and Video pages) on the Personal plan. Every user with a website hosting subscription can now monetize their content if they’d like.

As a note, Course pages, monetized blogs, and Video pages are available on version 7.1.  

Please note, there is a 9% transaction fee for purchases and a 30 minute video storage limit on all website hosting plans. For lower transaction fees and more video storage, you can add a Digital Products plan.

Learn more about getting started with digital products

Websites

Visitors can now upload files to form blocks 

At long last, you can now accept file uploads through forms on your site. This unlocks more flexibility for anyone who needs to collect file attachments from prospective customers, such as: writing submissions, photos, audio and video clips, or presentations. 

While you can limit the file types you accept, the following are supported: 

• Audio (.mp3, .wav, .aac, .mp4, .alac) 
  • Document (.docx, .doc, .pdf, .txt) 
  • Image (.png, .jpg, .tiff, .heic) 
  • Presentation (.pptx, .pdf) 
  • Video (.mp4, .avi, .avchd, .fiv) 

To get started: 

1. Add a new form block or edit an existing form.
  2. Ensure Google reCAPTCHA is enabled (it’s enabled by default to prevent spam). 
  3. Add the file upload field

Invoicing 

Create proposals, estimates, and contracts from the Invoicing panel 

Our Invoicing tools can expand how you can sell on Squarespace and help you deliver branded invoices to clients. You can now create and send visually striking proposals, estimates, and contracts that are all unified under your branding for a seamless transaction from start to finish. 

Please note, Documents (proposals, estimates, and contacts) are available on the Business and Commerce plans. 

Learn more about creating proposals, estimates, and contracts.

Domains 

Apply new permission levels on a per-domain basis on parking pages 

If you have domains parked on Squarespace, you can give people login access and grant them new domain-specific permissions so they can manage the domain and access only what they need. Each domain can have different contributors. 

We’ve also added two new permission levels: 

1. Domain managers - Can manage the domain’s settings, connect a domain to a website, and add/remove contributors. 
  2. Domain managers with billing access - All Domain manager permission, plus manage billing, move a domain to a website, and delete a domain. 

Please note, these new permissions are available for domains that are on a parking page, not linked to a Squarespace website. Domains linked to Squarespace sites share the website’s contributor permission levels.

Learn more about managing domain permissions and domain permission levels

Support for new domain DNS records

We’ve added support for 10 additional DNS records. You can now add the following records to your domain’s DNS settings as needed: 

• ALIAS
  • CAA
  • DS
  • HTTPS
  • NS
  • PTR
  • SSHFP
  • SPF
  • SVCB
  • TLSA

As a note, many of these records are only necessary for domains with complex setups. 

Learn more about managing your domain’s DNS settings.

Please for the love of god increase the upload size limit for downloads/digital products from the measly 300mb. It is 2024. 

If not for everyone, then at least add the increases to the new Digital Products Plans you're offering.

50gb+ should be the max for the top Digital Product Plan. 

300mb is useless for any serious digital product.

I really hope this can be done soon. I and a lot of others have requested this for years.

This is very disappointing. I have been waiting for a very long time for "real" Ecommerce updates like:

- additional payment methods

- displaying correct product prices with EU VAT in the shop & on customer invoices

- integrated multilanguage support instead of relying on the super expensive WeGlot app

- any additional cart options (cart slider, letting the customer know how much until free shipping...)

Are you planning to add any new features at all regarding ecommerce?

• 3 weeks later...

Some things I would love in June's update are listed below:

• Categories on a cellular phone should have the option to use the horizontal categories list or a dropdown
  • The product detail page should be a stand-a-lone page versus needed a category page and a detail page.
  • The checkout page should redirect and go back to the main shop page, which it doesn't do as of now.

Please make these small changes so our lives could be better..thank you!

When do you plan to implement the option in "subscription" products where we can increase the price of the subscription ourselves and notify customers?  By that i mean like how Netflix or Amazon Prime do when they increase the membership price. The only option for me with Squarespace now is to request my customers to cancel the subscription and sign up again for a new subscription product. Imagine Netflix doing this to all the customers and how much money they will lose? This is my current situation and it is very frustrating.

My business model is transitioning to a full on subscription model in the next few months and i am reconsidering Squarespace if this option is not available. Is there an ETA so that i can plan accordingly? I would prefer to stay with Squarespace but i have to evaluate the tradeoffs.

• 3 weeks later...

Agree 100% with @Vortex on the request to be able to adjust pricing for existing subscriptions.  I have hundreds of customers that I would like to adjust pricing for. How can I possibly ask them all to cancel their subscriptions and buy a new one?

When would you add the possibility to add correct VAT rates (e.g. in Germany there are different rates for physical and digital products - 19% for the first ones and 7% for the latter. At the moment it is not possible to add correct VAT rates.

Also are you planning to make it possible to charge VAT on gift cards? In Germany the VAT on gift cards for products with the same VAT the VAT has to be charged at the moment of the gift card sale.