Issue with email forwarding after Google Domain migration

I'm a recent port from Google Domains and the email forwards I had are not working. Some are showing up days later, but I believe I'm missing a lot of email. 

I've got emails forwards to addresses with a sbcglobal.net domain (post AT&T breakup domain, but is owned by AT&T now/again). Those email addresses are managed from yahoo.com, which is mentioned as an unsupported email provider (link below). These forwards were working fine until my domain was transferred to SquareSpace. 

There were a ton of custom DNS records and MX records, which I deleted in an attempt to resolve the issue. That didn't seem to work so I've changed the forward to a gmail address. I've gotten a verification email and hope that will work, but I'd really like to have the forwards point back to my sbcglobal.net email addresses. Is this going to be possible? 

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/19000909092237-Email-forwarding-with-a-Squarespace-domain?platform=v6&websiteId=663e922e4b43a04e40c7cb54

1 hour ago, TDerby said:

I'm a recent port from Google Domains and the email forwards I had are not working. Some are showing up days later, but I believe I'm missing a lot of email. 

I've got emails forwards to addresses with a sbcglobal.net domain (post AT&T breakup domain, but is owned by AT&T now/again). Those email addresses are managed from yahoo.com, which is mentioned as an unsupported email provider (link below). These forwards were working fine until my domain was transferred to SquareSpace. 

There were a ton of custom DNS records and MX records, which I deleted in an attempt to resolve the issue. That didn't seem to work so I've changed the forward to a gmail address. I've gotten a verification email and hope that will work, but I'd really like to have the forwards point back to my sbcglobal.net email addresses. Is this going to be possible? 

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/19000909092237-Email-forwarding-with-a-Squarespace-domain?platform=v6&websiteId=663e922e4b43a04e40c7cb54

Curious if you got this sorted out? I too was migrated from google domains but none of my email forwarders are showing up, but they are still working. I am curious about what you meant by "Some are showing up days later..." when you were first migrated did you see none and then after some days they start showing up? For me I had about 20 email forwarders and it currently just says this the below message about you cannot edit at this time. My MX records are still the same as the default google domains MX that are added when you use forwarding. I am expecting that eventually all 20 will show up in squarespace and then the MX records will flip to the default squarespace records to maintain email forwarding, but not sure. 

• You cannot add or edit email forwarding rules at this time

You can't add email forwarding rules to a domain with MX records or an active Google Workspace subscription. To add email forwarding rules, first delete any MX records you created or the Google Workspace subscription for this domain.

10 minutes ago, dlevens said:

Curious if you got this sorted out? I too was migrated from google domains but none of my email forwarders are showing up, but they are still working. I am curious about what you meant by "Some are showing up days later..." when you were first migrated did you see none and then after some days they start showing up? For me I had about 20 email forwarders and it currently just says this the below message about you cannot edit at this time. My MX records are still the same as the default google domains MX that are added when you use forwarding. I am expecting that eventually all 20 will show up in squarespace and then the MX records will flip to the default squarespace records to maintain email forwarding, but not sure. 

• You cannot add or edit email forwarding rules at this time

You can't add email forwarding rules to a domain with MX records or an active Google Workspace subscription. To add email forwarding rules, first delete any MX records you created or the Google Workspace subscription for this domain.

Nothing is working at the moment, including changing my forwards to gmail, however once I made the change I was notified it could take 24-28 hours before it started working. I got the verification in gmail immediately so I'm hopeful...

I have about a dozen email forwards. Recently I noticed my email was peculiarly light, and then was notified of the port to squarespace. I then tried sending test emails to my forwarded email and they weren't going through in any kind of timely fashion. They usually didn't show up, but sometimes I would get one the next day or two later. This service is not reliable at this time. 

Unless I can get a resolution quickly, I'm debating whether to find another service or just go without the email forwards. 

8 minutes ago, TDerby said:

Nothing is working at the moment, including changing my forwards to gmail, however once I made the change I was notified it could take 24-28 hours before it started working. I got the verification in gmail immediately so I'm hopeful...

I have about a dozen email forwards. Recently I noticed my email was peculiarly light, and then was notified of the port to squarespace. I then tried sending test emails to my forwarded email and they weren't going through in any kind of timely fashion. They usually didn't show up, but sometimes I would get one the next day or two later. This service is not reliable at this time. 

Unless I can get a resolution quickly, I'm debating whether to find another service or just go without the email forwards. 

Were you using the default Google Domains MX records and the email forwarding setup under email in google domains? My domain with all my email forwarding was setup like that and was just migrated 4 days ago on May 10th but so far my email forwarding is still working, but I see no email forwarders listed at squarespace and I see the default MX records that google created in squarespace DNS. So am hoping this just takes time for forwarders to show up. Or I could be running on cache and eventually my email forwarding will stop working. 

1 hour ago, dlevens said:

Were you using the default Google Domains MX records and the email forwarding setup under email in google domains? My domain with all my email forwarding was setup like that and was just migrated 4 days ago on May 10th but so far my email forwarding is still working, but I see no email forwarders listed at squarespace and I see the default MX records that google created in squarespace DNS. So am hoping this just takes time for forwarders to show up. Or I could be running on cache and eventually my email forwarding will stop working. 

All I'm using this email for is to have a family domain name, which I use as a forwarding email service. There were some MX records and custom DNS records in the setup. Since I wasn't getting email forwarded, I deleted them hoping that may be the problem. I used the ADD PRESET button to add the SquareSpace defaults. If you are a Google Workspace user, you may have to add the Google Workspace MX records. 

image.thumb.png.5b8a11b2ac35a353125b64817280334d.png

9 hours ago, dlevens said:

Curious if you got this sorted out?

Go to cloudflare.com, create an account, and then add your domain with their FREE service. Setup was stupid simple and had my email forwards working in about 10-20 minutes! You are still using SquareSpace for your registrar, but using CloudFlare for nameservers and email. I'm thinking I'll eventually dump SquareSpace when they inevitably raise their prices, but for now this setup is working pretty well. 

Posted (edited)

I have created a "catch all" rule in the `Email Forwarding` settings of my domain. It works in some cases, but not in others.

I setup the `From` to `*@mydomain.com` and the `To` to `myemail@gmail.com`.

If I send an email to `test@mydomain.com` from `anotherpersonsemail@gmail.com`, I get their message in my `myemail@gmail.com` inbox.

If I send an email to `test@mydomain.com` from `myemail@gmail.com` (the same email to where the message should be redirected to), then I never get the email.

This used to work just fine with Google Domains. Can you please check what's blocking the messages?

Thanks!

Edited by Gilgamesh
Fixing formatting
Posted (edited)

That's definitely true! 

When adding an email forwarding rule to a Squarespace domain, using * in the Forward from field will forward mail sent to any alias at the domain - in other words, this is Squarespace's method for setting up catchall email forwarding. (Unless I'm missing a difference between the two. In which case, apologies for the miscommunication).

Overall, if you've added an email forwarding rule and entered * in the Forward from field, but catchall email forwarding for your domain still isn't working, it's worth reaching out to Squarespace support for troubleshooting help.

Edited by PixelSoda

Had to call my  IT genius (my son) who did the needed digging to identify the correct name servers and get them plugged in.  Shortly after getting the ns installed they propagated and my email forwarding at improvmx  activated and came online.

Forwarding and wildcards working fine now.

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 6:03 PM, pgthegreat said:

I'm having problem trying to save email forwarding configuration 

For example:

Forwarding From: 

Forwarding To:

my personal gmail address

I get following error 

image.png.8a06eccf8f0188de844ca6ec58d7d072.png

Try to log out and log in. Ridiculous but it worked for me.

Edited by OzanTurkkan

I came from the Google Domains handover, which I already hated. 

Now I'm getting "550 5.7.1 Relaying denied" on all the emails being send to all the forwarding emails that have been setup. 

How to get out of this mess ASAP? I can't receive any email, so I, and all the people using these emails have lost all the services that rely on that. Forums, banking, everything. 

Posted (edited)
On 12/9/2023 at 2:19 PM, FOSP said:

You cannot add or edit email forwarding rules at this time

You can’t add email forwarding rules to a domain with MX records or an active Google Workspace subscription. To add email forwarding rules, first delete any MX records you created or the Google Workspace subscription for this domain.

Did you ever solve this problem?  I am having the same issue after my domain was transferred today.  I do not have a Google Workspace subscription, but the Squarespace domain console says that I do.  My email still seems to be forwarded, but no forwarding rules are listed and I cannot add any forwarding rules in the Squarespace domain console. 

When I look at the MX records, they list Google SMTP servers, but as I said I don't have Google Workspace.  Before the transfer Google domains handled the forwarding.  I had other domains that were transferred, but after the transfer their MX records pointed to Mailgun rather than Google, and those other domains have rules that I see in the Squarespace domain console.  

Should I delete the MX records that point to Google, and will Squarespace then  create a new set of Mailgun MX entries and let me create email forwarding rules in the Squarespace domain console?

Edited by Angmar

I am having a major recurring issue with Email Forwards now that my domain has transferred to Squarespace.
I have two former Google Domains that transferred to Squarespace. The second domain to transfer worked flawlessly and has functioned correctly ever since.

My primary email domain was the first to transfer to Squarespace.
I received the initial email from Google saying that my domain had transferred and that I would soon receive an email from Squarespace on how to manage it.
That email did not arrive and my email was currently down.
I created a Squarespace account using my Gmail address and the domain was already there for me to manage.

Like many others had reported my email forwards did not transfer over to Squarespace and I was unable to create them due to other lingering MX records getting transferred over.
Easy enough fix. Removing all MX records allowed me to create my forwards and all was well for about a month.

Then finally arrives an email from Squarespace saying that my domain had been transferred and was now ready to be managed. This is over a month after it had transferred and had been up and running.
Two days after this email came through EVERY single one of my Email Forwards were deleted by Squarespace.
This is also when I happened to hit the "Unable to create Email Forward" bug that others were getting but that was an easy enough workaround.
I managed to get all of my forwards recreated yet again and got things working. Even though I had to manually create and delete them along with the custom MX record forwarding block before they would actually work.

Well this morning it happened AGAIN!
All of my email forwards were deleted yet again some time between yesterday afternoon and this morning.
I had to go through the same create them, delete them, delete the MX record block, then create them again before they would work.

Does anyone at Squarespace have any idea what, likely automated, process is kicking off that is deleting my email forwards?? I have a feeling that it has something to do with the system not initially transferring my domain from Google Domains correctly and part of it keeps trying to run and deleting my Email Forwards?

This is a major issue as this has been my primary email for over 20 years. All of my financial, billing, medical, governmental contact, EVERYTHING goes to this mailbox which you keep deleting.

I am having a major recurring issue with Email Forwards now that my domain has transferred to Squarespace.
I have two former Google Domains that transferred to Squarespace. The second domain to transfer worked flawlessly and has functioned correctly ever since.

My primary email domain was the first to transfer to Squarespace.
I received the initial email from Google saying that my domain had transferred and that I would soon receive an email from Squarespace on how to manage it.
That email did not arrive and my email was currently down.
I created a Squarespace account using my Gmail address and the domain was already there for me to manage.

Like many others had reported my email forwards did not transfer over to Squarespace and I was unable to create them due to other lingering MX records getting transferred over.
Easy enough fix. Removing all MX records allowed me to create my forwards and all was well for about a month.

Then finally arrives an email from Squarespace saying that my domain had been transferred and was now ready to be managed. This is over a month after it had transferred and had been up and running.
Two days after this email came through EVERY single one of my Email Forwards were deleted by Squarespace.
This is also when I happened to hit the "Unable to create Email Forward" bug that others were getting but that was an easy enough workaround.
I managed to get all of my forwards recreated yet again and got things working. Even though I had to manually create and delete them along with the custom MX record forwarding block before they would actually work.

Well this morning it happened AGAIN!
All of my email forwards were deleted yet again some time between yesterday afternoon and this morning.
I had to go through the same create them, delete them, delete the MX record block, then create them again before they would work.

Does anyone at Squarespace have any idea what, likely automated, process is kicking off that is deleting my email forwards?? I have a feeling that it has something to do with the system not initially transferring my domain from Google Domains correctly and part of it keeps trying to run and deleting my Email Forwards?

This is a major issue as this has been my primary email for over 20 years. All of my financial, billing, medical, governmental contact, EVERYTHING goes to this mailbox which you keep deleting.

1 hour ago, Jakuren said:

What was your workaround?  I contacted Squarespace support but they haven't fixed it.

5 hours ago, Angmar said:

What was your workaround?  I contacted Squarespace support but they haven't fixed it.

The fix for the unable to create a forward was to either log out and clear the cookies, cache, and site data for Squarespace or just sigh in via an incognito window.

I did hear back from Squarespace support on the issue with my email forwards being deleted multiple times.

Turns out there was some system side issue with some Google Domains transfers and (hopefully) the issue is now resolved.

So the answer is yes. Squarespace was deleted my email forwards. 😆

I just heard back from support. The time stamps I provided for both times my email forwards were removed coincided with an issue they were tracking with some recently migrated Google Domains having their email forwards not show up.

Apparently this also cause the email forwards to not work.

I have been informed that the issue has been resolved and that I should no longer have my email forwards removed.

I don't know if this fix only applies to the specific domain with which I was having the issue or a system wide fix.

So if anyone else runs across this issue just open a ticket with support, I used the line chat. They tech escalated my case and I got a response back in seven hours or so.

Well. That didn't last... Less than 8 hours after I was told this issue was resolved Squarespace deleted my email forwards YET AGAIN.

This is absolutely unacceptable. I lost a handful of financial emails yet again this morning due to this issue.