Issue with email forwarding after Google Domain migration

As a side note, email forwarding in Squarespace to gmail accounts does not seem to work. I did not come over from google domains but created my site on squarespace and used the email forwarding feature to set up email to 3 different gmail accounts. They did not work. I've tried support but have hit 3+ weeks of "someone will get back to you."  Yesterday I added an old yahoo email address and it works flawlessly. So it appears email forwarding to gmail accounts doesn't work.

If anyone has it working - domain on Squarespace, not google, please speak up.  and how did you get it to work??

Please, I have bunch of subdomains using the wildcard catchall feature in google domains (*@domain.tld) for many registrations across many sites and IOT devices. This would render some of those accounts / devices useless if this feature is not ported across. Google has yet again promised feature parity in this migration when killing a service that many rely on, but will only guarantee parity for about 80% of the userbase. (Same as Google Music and YouTube Music or Google Inbox and Gmail) 

If you do not intend to support wildcard domains by the time this deal closes then we expect a clear strategy on when our wildcards will stop working and a list of all the subdomains associated with this wildcard forward feature to be provided if possible.

Please Squarespace I asked nicely here be beter than Google. We did not choose to be in this mess, don't make us regret trusting you or next time we might look for other options when buying / renewing our domains. 

Kind regards,
A really concerned citizen

Edited by WillemM

Squarespace does not currently offer a straightforward email forwarding feature similar to Google Domains. You may need to explore alternative solutions or contact Squarespace support for specific information regarding email forwarding options after the transition. 

Edited by aantourism662

I don't have the answer but I'm having the same problem. If I try to add email forwarding from my Domains page, it says: 

You cannot add or edit email forwarding rules at this time

You can’t add email forwarding rules to a domain with MX records or an active Google Workspace subscription. To add email forwarding rules, first delete any MX records you created or the Google Workspace subscription for this domain.

But the only MX records I have are the SquareSpace defaults. Should I delete them? Why would there be defaults that should be deleted? Clearly I'm missing something.

I got my forwarding to a gmail address working. There were nine SquareSpace default DNS records in my settings, but only one was an MX record. I deleted that one and went back to the Domains page, and it let me set up forwarding from an alias to a gmail address. I waited a few hours before trying it, and it worked the first time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

If Squarespace doesn't cut it for email forwarding like Google Domains, check out ProxiedMail. It's pretty slick for setting up wildcard email forwards like *@mydomain.com to your Gmail. Basically, it forwards all your emails without needing to set up each one. Pretty straightforward and could save you the hassle. Check article about forwarding https://proxiedmail.com/en/migrate-emails-from-domain-to-another.

Might be just what you need!

• 3 weeks later...

At this point, I believe it's a scam. Lure people in with promises of features like email forwarding, but then it doesn't work at all.  I regret making any purchases from Squarespace at this point but I trusted Google when they sent me here.  When my domains are ready expire, I'll try to transfer them to Go Daddy but I have small expectations that'll work either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Was there anything specific you had to do or did it just start working on its own?   I've the same scenario, but when sending to the forward, I get a "relay not permitted" error.  

Your message couldn't be delivered to email@forwardedemaildomain.com because the remote server is misconfigured. See technical details below for more information.

Never mind.  It was just a matter of time.  24+ hours and it all started working.  Guess it was a combination of having just started the new domain and trying to get forwarding going before all the propagation was completed. 

• 3 weeks later...

I successfully forwarded my custom squarespace domain email to my Yahoo email account. I tried to add my custom domain email address to Yahoo so I can send emails from that alias as well. However, the custom domain email can't be verified. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this?

• 2 weeks later...

Good Afternoon,

I am having problems with email forwarding.  I set my doamin up a couple of weeks ago, added the forwarding email addresses (gmail address) and verfied the forwarding email location.   I have waited about a week and the forwarding is still not working. 

I have not changed the names servers or made any other changes. 

What else can I check?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2023 at 8:28 PM, paul2009 said:

Squarespace recently added email forwarding to Squarespace Domains. It is available for domains that don't already have a custom email address but is limited to 100 aliases per domain. there isn't a 'catch all' option like *@mydomain.com.

To create an email forward with specific aliases:

1. Open the Domains panel (in Settings > Domains).
  2. Click the domain you're setting up an email forward for.
  3. Scroll down to the Email Forwarding section.
  4. Click Add, then click Add rule.
  5. Enter an alias in the Forward from field. The alias is what will display before @yoursitename.com.
  6. In the Forward To field, enter the email address where you'd like to receive the forwarded emails.
  7. Click Save.
  8. After you save changes, we'll send a verification email to the email address you entered in the Forward To field. Click the link in the email to verify. Your email forwarding begins 24-48 hours after you verify your address. While verification is pending, a yellow Verification pending status will appear next to your domain in the Email Forwarding panel. 

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Hi Paul,

I just transferred my domain from Dotster.com which was bought by Web.com who have terminated support for the email alias feature.

I had some email aliases setup on the original Dotster.com site, which where somehow "hard-coded" as part of the merger with Web.com.

I know this because these email aliases continued to work, despite not being visible/available on the new registrar.

This is also currently the case, after I transferred my domain to Squarespace.

I know Squarespace supports email aliases, but when I try to use this option it gives me the following error:

"You cannot add or edit email forwarding rules at this time

You can’t add email forwarding rules to a domain with MX records or an active Google Workspace subscription. To add email forwarding rules, first delete any MX records you created or the Google Workspace subscription for this domain."

As I've mentioned, I have not created any MX records, nor am I using a Google Workspace subscription.

If there are some kind of MX records these must have been created during the original migration process because my email aliases are still working...

I don't want to lose the functionality of the email aliases I have previously setup...

17 minutes ago, klauzja said:

Hi Paul,

I just transferred my domain from Dotster.com which was bought by Web.com who have terminated support for the email alias feature.

I had some email aliases setup on the original Dotster.com site, which where somehow "hard-coded" as part of the merger with Web.com.

I know this because these email aliases continued to work, despite not being visible/available on the new registrar.

This is also currently the case, after I transferred my domain to Squarespace.

I know Squarespace supports email aliases, but when I try to use this option it gives me the following error:

"You cannot add or edit email forwarding rules at this time

You can’t add email forwarding rules to a domain with MX records or an active Google Workspace subscription. To add email forwarding rules, first delete any MX records you created or the Google Workspace subscription for this domain."

As I've mentioned, I have not created any MX records, nor am I using a Google Workspace subscription.

If there are some kind of MX records these must have been created during the original migration process because my email aliases are still working...

I don't want to lose the functionality of the email aliases I have previously setup...

Go into your list of Domains, open the Domain you're trying to forward, and on the left-hand side menu under "DNS" click "DNS Settings"

Make sure there are no MX records or custom DNS records in there. If there are, delete any records and then you should be able to click the "Add Preset" button at the top right, and select "Squarespace Defaults."

Just keep in mind if you have any other custom DNS records in there that are needed for your domain, to not delete those, or at least screenshot them and save them just in case you need to revert back if something ends up breaking.

Thank you Zyler,

I just deleted the @ MX record for my domain and this let me now recreate the email aliases.

I also see a few other Custom Records there, including (email, imap, mail, smtp, webmail).

I only use this domain for my personalized emails for my family, no website or anything.

Do this mean i can delete all these other (legacy) record as well?

image.png.c807caae892d8271d72534aacf1f2678.png

47 minutes ago, klauzja said:

Thank you Zyler,

I just deleted the @ MX record for my domain and this let me now recreate the email aliases.

I also see a few other Custom Records there, including (email, imap, mail, smtp, webmail).

I only use this domain for my personalized emails for my family, no website or anything.

Do this mean i can delete all these other (legacy) record as well?

image.png.c807caae892d8271d72534aacf1f2678.png

That's correct. If you're only using this for email forwarding and nothing else, then you shouldn't need any of those additional DNS Records.

Glad to hear you were able to get it working!

Dear Squarespace Support,

I'm experiencing an ongoing issue with email forwarding after transferring my domain from GoDaddy to Squarespace. It's been four days without a resolution, and my client is understandably frustrated by the lack of incoming emails.

Previously, I had email forwarding set up to redirect to Gmail through GoDaddy. Upon moving the domain to Squarespace last week, I followed your instructions to configure Squarespace email forwarding and remove the MX record related to GoDaddy. This allowed me to create forwarding rules within Squarespace.

During the rule creation process, I verified my Gmail address successfully, receiving and confirming the verification email. However, despite Squarespace confirming everything is set up, I haven't received any forwarded emails for days.

Squarespace chat support has advised me to wait for an escalated team's response. Unfortunately, it's been several days, and not receiving a resolution for this is concerning.

Since my Custom Records section in DNS currently only shows the default Squarespace A and CNAME records, with no entries in Custom Records or Email Forwarding, I'm wondering if there's anything additional I need to configure there.

I appreciate your urgent assistance in resolving this issue as my client's business operations are affected.

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

domain transferred from google. catch-all email forwarding not working. please help. very important.

Why was the *@ email catchall from google domains not implemented?!? this is insane! 

Is there a work-around?? The amount of site registrations and logins that rely on those is innumerable!

My most important domain jddaniel.us is newly transferred from GoDaddy.  It looks ok in my Domain list (I have 7) and yet it  didn't forward email and the catchall  doesn't work.  Except for being in my domain list it has ceased to exist on the internet and of my important email forwards are inert.  I curse Icann for  the 60 day wait period to transfer away from this nightmare.