Linking a domain to Heroku

Hi! I used to use google domains. I'm currently not having success linking a domain to Heroku.

Heroku allows you to enter a DNS, for example: "www.mywebsite.com". Heroku then provides a DNS target that looks like this: "some-letters.herokudns.com".

In Google domains, to make it work, you then do the following:

• Create a DNA record. Name: "www.mywebsite.com" Type: "CNAME", Data: "some-letters.herokudns.com." Note the appended period at the end.

Then you set up Domain forwarding of "mywebsite.com" to "www.mywebsite.com", as type 302, Forward path, for both A, and AAAA.

I've tried doing this in SquareSpace, and get various error messages when viewing the site based on which combination of options I choose. WWW on the main page? Extra dot on the DNS target etc. Any ideas? Thank you!

ss.png

SS2.png

Edited by the_alchemist

Squarespace automatically adds your root domain to the end of the Host value when creating DNS records. In the Custom Records section, try using the following Host values:

Host: @
Type: A
Data: [redacted]

Host: @
Type: AAAA

Host: www
Type: CNAME

It's also important to note that if you're adding a forward rule for the "www" subdomain, you won't be able to add the "www" CNAME record in the Custom Records section because they will conflict with each other. Essentially, you can't forward/point a subdomain to two different URLs.

Based on the information in Heroku's guide, I don't think you need the forwarding rule:

https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/custom-domains