How to Lower Bounce Rate

Hi @ChristinaDean!

The pop up is probably a big factor in the bounce rate. While they can be effective, I personally find them annoying and I will usually leave a site that has a pop up. Instead of a pop up, I would put a section on your page for the lead generator...that way people have the option of signing up if they want.

When someone lands on a website, the first thing they want to know is who you are and what you do. If they can't figure that out in .5 seconds, then they will leave. So right now, I'm looking at the page without scrolling...the only thing that sort of gives me a clue is the "dive into an epic week of dirt biking". So I would guess you're a tour company in Nicaragua? Maybe? If it's not clear right away, then people will leave your page without scrolling to find out more.

Just giving your page a quick scan, I think simplifying it would help...right now it feels a bit busy and cramped with all of the graphics and text. Anything that makes our eyes struggle or forces our brain to process too much information will make people leave.

All of these would help make it more visually pleasing:
- making the content more narrow instead of taking up the whole page horizontally
- a defined color palette (the dark gray and black clash with each other)
- more palatable fonts/sizes
- better layout within sections
- consistent spacing throughout

Also, the gap in between the announcement bar and the top navigation is a bit distracting.

Testimonials are a BIG thing that will increase your conversions. Asking people to fork over $2k is no small ask... they need to have a trust factor that their investment is going to be worth it. By including testimonials from past customers, they can see that the investment pays off.

I would also add some FAQ's - like, 'what happens to my money if I can't go', etc...

There's a typo on this page... the last sentence should say 'lodging' - https://www.nomadasdrift.com/merch/p/the-nica-drift-deposit

Hope this helps 🙂

Jessica Miller | Squarespace Website Designer
https://www.jessicamiller.work
jessica@jessicamiller.work

Search the blog and get weekly Squarespace tips to your inbox
https://www.jessicamiller.work/blog

Want to pick my brain or get help? Book a free 15 minute call.

@ChristinaDean I've found that pages like the one you mentioned typically have a very high bounce rate because people are finding all the info they need on that page with no reason to visit other pages. To reduce bounce rate, you'd want to actively encourage folks to click on another page of your website. Maybe more detailed information about each activity?

christyprice.com  🇺🇸 Austin, TX US 

Get my 100+ item Client Process Checklist for $17.
📔 Flourish Journal for Creative Entrepreneurs - 365 days of prompts
🎥 Watch Circle Live: Hello Income (feat. Christy Price and Jeremy Schwartz)
🎬 Watch It's Not Hard to Say Goodbye: Crafting Client Offboarding from Circle Day 2023

• 1 month later...

My bounce rate has been going up dramatically as my Blog posts are being picked up by Google and ranking in the first page. I get lots of traffic to my Blogs, but apparently they are leaving after reading the posts. Is there any correlation between the new traffic to my posts and the higher bounce rates I'm seeing, some as high as 98 percent!! Any suggestions... and yes I'm still working in 7.0 for the moment. Also, I use Google Analytics and wonder if SQSP analytics is no longer accurate???

https://www.mainhousecreative.com

Edited by MainhouseCreative
need to add more context

Definitely! People find what they are looking for and often don’t visit anything else on your site. Some steps I take to mitigate that are adding relevant links in the post, adding related posts at the end, and adding a blog sidebar with some context and ways to explore. 

christyprice.com  🇺🇸 Austin, TX US 

Get my 100+ item Client Process Checklist for $17.
📔 Flourish Journal for Creative Entrepreneurs - 365 days of prompts
🎥 Watch Circle Live: Hello Income (feat. Christy Price and Jeremy Schwartz)
🎬 Watch It's Not Hard to Say Goodbye: Crafting Client Offboarding from Circle Day 2023