Upgrading from Avenue to 7.1

I'm currently using the Avenue template, and I like it for the most part, but there are some adjustments I'd like to make that seem to only be possible in version 7.1. The guide for updating suggests switching to a template in the Brine or Bedford family before updating, but switching to any other template results in all of the content from my page disappearing and being replaced with the template preview information. The only things that seems to transfer is the title. 
Since my website is primarily for photography, secondary for acting, there are a lot of photos and content that would take a ton of time to reupload (and some to even track down on my computer and backups again, since they are much older) that I would rather avoid if I can. 
So I guess my main question is, how much content do I risk losing if I upgrade to 7.1 directly from my current Avenue template?

Thank you for the reply! I went to attempt this, but apparently it actually won't let you update from avenue, since no update option appears where the walkthrough says it will and developer mode is off, so it must be because it's an "unsupported template" to update from.

I've been testing so many templates to switch to, but so far every single one erases everything from my website and replaces it with the preview information. Does anyone have a fix for this? Or am I doomed to either stay with my current template or reupload everything from scratch?

t to attempt this, but apparently it actually won't let you update from avenue

Brine and Bedford are the only two v7.0 templates that are supported at this time.

To go from any other v7.0 template you need to change the template to Brine or Bedford first, then use the update tool.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

After switching templates all of your pages and content should be in the not linked section. The demo content is only added so you can see the various features and styles of the new template.

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815598-Switching-templates-in-version-7-0#toc-step-3---preview-the-template

(That first link was messed up I think, oops! This one should load)

Edited by rabidzoomonkey

Thank you!
Yes, I've been testing templates in the Bedford and Brine families, but I didn't realise you could go back to pages after clicking "preview" to edit. 
None of the updatable templates have a grid option for the index, but it seems like it's because version 7.1 has removed this index option and replaced it with a "portfolio page"? I've going to attempt to update with this duplicated page and hope I can just transfer the gallery pages to that. Will report back!

11 hours ago, TerranRogue said:

None of the updatable templates have a grid option for the index, but it seems like it's because version 7.1 has removed this index option and replaced it with a "portfolio page"?

The Index on Avenue was unique to that template. There isn't a comparable feature on version 7.1, but it is possible to build something similar with some workarounds. Note that 7.1 Portfolio Pages are limited to 60 sub-pages. I mention this now before you build out your portfolio and reach the limit!

Edited by paul2009

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Unfortunately I've run into another wall in my testing with the duplicate page. I added a portfolio page, but I don't seem to have a way to make my gallery pages the pages it links to. My only option appears to be to create "project pages" within the portfolio page. I have found that I can make it a blank page with an "image visual option" similar to what I want, though I will still need to reupload all of the images this way.
Is this the only way to create the "grid -> gallery" look I want, or am I missing an easier option?
Thank you all for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this post since it's been a while. I'm still stuck and frustrated trying to figure out how to get a similar base photography page I had on Avenue without starting completely from scratch. The Portfolio option feels constricting, since I can only create from scratch and can't drag in my previous gallery pages for it to link to instead, but I don't see any other page options that can look like that.

• 1 month later...

i am having a same journey. I am using Avenue with a lot of photographs as my artist portfolio. I was suggested to update to 7.1 by squarespace, but I don't know if actually my template Avenue can be updated to 7.1. so easily...

TerranRogue, did you at the end find any solution? 

8 hours ago, chaco said:

I was suggested to update to 7.1 by squarespace, but I don't know if actually my template Avenue can be updated to 7.1. so easily...

Too bad Squarespace didn't point you to v7.0 to v7.1 update support article.

If you decide to update it won't be easy. There is no direct update path from the Avenue template. You first have to change the template for your site to Brine or Bedford, then you can use the update tool.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.