401 errors to Member Sites pages

Go to solution Solved by Collaborada,

I have a client who has a Member Sites area but has part of the content in front of the paywall in a blog. That blog has lots of links to the paywalled pages and SEM Rush is telling us that they are resulting in 401 errors. I'm wondering if trying to add a script to add nofollow links would help fix this issue? Any other suggestions? The client cannot change those links due to the size of the blog currently and the way they want the links to work.

Thanks!

Edited by jaeveedee
adding tags

Did I help you? Buy me a coffee!

👨‍💻 Bergen Design Co.

💻  I'm for hire on Upwork!

🕸️ Squarespace Experts  

🖥️ 99Designs

• Solution

A 401 indicates "unauthorized" which is correct as their crawler is being blocked from accessing the paywalled content, this is normal for member-only areas. It doesn't necessarily need to be "fixed." Just explain to the client that if they use automated reports, they need to apply contextual understanding.

Have SEO questions? Chances are we've written about it! Try a quick Google search to find our advice. Or for personalized support, see our consulting and training sessions.  Official Squarespace Experts since 2014 

@Collaborada this was what I was thinking and told them as well but I wanted to see what others thought about it. The SEO person is more in the content side of things and doesn't know much about the technical side and SEM Rush report looked kind of scary to them I think.

Thanks!

Did I help you? Buy me a coffee!

👨‍💻 Bergen Design Co.

💻  I'm for hire on Upwork!

🕸️ Squarespace Experts  

🖥️ 99Designs