My second paid client site: What do you think?

Go to solution Solved by jordan-cgu,

I'm not a circler, but I find things like the colour changing banner at the top and the white glow that follows the cursor around at the bottom of the home page distracting. It looks like the logo has been designed for a white background, and a lot of the detail in that image, (like the wood grain in the tree stump) doesn't show up well against a colour background - it definitely looks its best on the contact page. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

I like hero with text blurb and a call to action for most situations. If a visitor is likely to know enough to respond to the call to action without needing the blurb, then you could cut it or minimize it. Carousels are almost always out these days, but do have their place perhaps. Sometimes a thirds layout can work if there 3 distinct things to highlight. Let content dictate design. 

A few other suggestions:

• Standardize Call to Action styles, I see at least 4 on the homepage (1. top right of the main nav, 2. bottom left of the hero image, 3. the two learn mores on the next two sections, 4. the complimentary discovery call). I like the 4th the best, though the black border outline is a bit intense. 
  • Consider removing the Call to Action from the Nav, it's already too busy up there. Ideally get the nav onto one line for most desktop browsing. Consider using the Logo without the words, just the image. Put Cultivating Conversations somewhere else in the hero. 
  • On contact forms I like Full Name rather than First and Last. I realize some mailmerge really likes the separation, but I think better to design around full name, since not everyone's name fits the first and last well. Though this is more of a concern when targeting international clients beyond Canada and the US. 
  • The Services page is an important page, and I feel like it could use more than just text in the first 2/3rds of it. There is some nice imagery at the bottom but it takes a while to get there. Avoid styling webpages like Word Docs, with just plane headings and bulleted lists. Create boxes, split into half and third layouts, find icons to represent. If you're going to talk about a retreat, show the experience right next to it with an image. Also make that Call to Action button (Connect with me and find out more) consistent, it's a 5th style, and on desktop its crashing into the text above it.