Home page video not working/playing

Out of nowhere, the video that was on the home/landing page is no longer working/playing. It is displaying the "fallback" still image. Nothing was changed, it just stopped working and I only noticed it when I went to the website. I pay for Vimeo so that is not the issue. The video URL is correct. Any reasons this may be happening?

I spoke to customer support today. They ran some tests (I use 7.1) and replied with the following: 

"I wanted to give you an update at the present moment. I can confirm this is related to an issue with background videos on our end with the latest version of Chrome (116). Our Engineering team is aware of this issue, and they’re currently working toward a fix.

We’re unable to offer a timeline for resolution, but I can assure you that we’re working to have this resolved as soon as possible. "

Edited by jdeeiz

I spoke to customer support today. The problem in my case is only happening with chrome browsers (including Brave).  Safari and a few others are fine. They ran some tests (I use 7.1) and replied with the following: 

"I wanted to give you an update at the present moment. I can confirm this is related to an issue with background videos on our end with the latest version of Chrome (116). Our Engineering team is aware of this issue, and they’re currently working toward a fix.

We’re unable to offer a timeline for resolution, but I can assure you that we’re working to have this resolved as soon as possible. "

• 2 weeks later...

Having the same issue - been waiting a couple of days for support to come back to me. It's strange because I have two sites. The 7.1 it works perfectly well on chrome with video banner - the 7.0 is not working. The other issue is that instead on popping up with the fall back image it just shows a black background to all my widgets. Any ideas on how to fix this yet? Has anyone heard anything from Squarespace on expected fix time

We've recently run into an issue with our homepage banner. It is currently displaying our fallback still-image. We want it to play a video that's on loop. The video works when accessing our website from Safari, but it never seems to appear when accessing our website through Chrome or Edge - all we end up seeing is the fallback image.

Does anybody have any insights as to why this is happening? I do know that we are running off of Squarespace 7.0. Perhaps that has something to do with it? Whatever you think, we would greatly appreciate any feedback you can give. Thank you!

Edited by arethusa_farm
Grammatical Issue

Still not working here. Headers show fallback image in headers instead of the video.

29 Sep 2023 Update - spoke with customer support who confirmed that they are aware of the issue (video headers not playing on Chrome/Chromium browsers) for Pacific template. They are investigating but cannot give a timeline for the fix so hope others will join me in keeping the attention on this until it gets resolved.

Edited by smithandedit
Spoke with Customer Support
13 hours ago, houghtoncreative said:

Same issue here. Just stopped working last week. Just shows a black background on chrome. Site using 7.0

https://www.tobyrandall.co.nz

I've been experiencing video banner problems for months on a number of sites. 

The site in your link shows the same console error as I see.  The performance script throws a 500 error. I suspect the performance script includes code for building video backgrounds and retrieving content from Vimeo / YouTube. 

The only solution I've found (and I'm not certain it's a robust solution) is to upload the videos to the Squarespace site via the video loader. They seem to work that way but video uploading is only part of 7.1 sites. 

image.thumb.png.b6ff1d3742240dd74bdb601a1dc980e7.png

Edited by colin.irwin

I'm Colin Irwin aka silvabokis.  I've been a Squarespace designer & developer since 2013. 
I remember when it was all wild prairies round these here parts. 🐃🤠
Advice I give on here is free, though I may sometimes post an affiliate link or promote something I've written.
That reminds me.. ..you might want to check out my
Squarespace template finder or have a look at my other Squarespace tips
Speaking of tips, 💲I've got a tip jar that you're welcome to throw a few quid into if you think I've helped you. 
If you're looking for a Squarespace developer 
Book a chat or Drop me a line - first meeting is always free  

This is a terrible act of negligence on the part of Squarespace.

I recently finished a site design which included several very expensive, purchased stock video clips, spent considerable time selecting, editing, color grading, etc, all with the intention of using these as a banner image on a new Squarespace site for my company.  Without banner videos, this is all wasted, and the design falls flat—it was predicated on the captivating effect of a hero video.

I've noticed this issue going on 3 weeks now and it still hasn't been fixed.  What are you paying your developers for?  This bug is probably ruining—quite literally—tens of thousands websites, and by extension, their ability to conduct business online.

Come on, Squarespace.  Get your act together.

Edited by Avana
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Out of nowhere videos started not working as well on our site, I guess VIMEO URLs are the only way to avoid this issue with SquareSpace. 

On top of this issue I've noticed that SP customer service and support ticket times have gone fro 24 hours to days for anyone to respond. 

more erros.jpg