DSN Error - Deprecated record

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hey!
I'm hoping someone can help me, in Squarespace it says there that there is a DSN error, and that the CNAME has deprecated. From reading online it sounds like 'deprecated' records happen when they've been outdated, but I don't know how to go about updating the records? 

Please see screenshots that show what I see in Squarespace and Freeparking (who the domain is through).

Thanks so much in advance!
Amelia

Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 7.43.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 7.44.46 PM.png

I would suggest that you delete the www - ext.squarespace.com record in freeparking and then replace it, that may be enough to fix this error. If not then talk to freeparking support to see why the record may have been depreciated.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 
Hire me on Upwork!

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 
 🖼️ Gallery Lightbox Plugin (Referral link) 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

• Solution
3 hours ago, Amelia__ said:

in Squarespace it says there that there is a [DNS] error, and that the CNAME has deprecated. From reading online it sounds like 'deprecated' records happen when they've been outdated, but I don't know how to go about updating the records? 

This happened because of a change by Squarespace.

Squarespace now require this CNAME record to point to ext-cust.squarespace.com instead of ext.squarespace.com. You can change this by logging on to your domain host's DNS Settings and editing this record to point to the new location. The warning should disappear within 24 to 72 hours.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit confused because when I use SQ connected my GoDaddy DNS setting, the Second CNAME was pointed to "ext-sq.squarespace.com." (there's a "." in the end"), it connected well, and works!

Later, I found the the guidance on SQ website, says the second CNAME should point to  "ext-cust.squarespace.com" (there's no "." in the end, and the starting value is different as well)

My website is running fine and still points to "ext-sq.squarespace.com.", should I change to "ext-cust."?

I checked my older SQ site, it is also "ext-sq.squarespace.com."

I am confused.

Thanks

9 hours ago, Amelia__ said:

Just confirming that changing the CNAME to ext-cust.squarespace.com through the domain provider fixed the issue! It did take about 48 hours to take effect. Thanks again for the help!

so what's "ext-sq."?? old info?

16 hours ago, xing said:

My website is running fine and still points to "ext-sq.squarespace.com."

They use ext-sq.squarespace.com to indicate a subdomain (when the main domain points to another Squarespace site) but you do not need to make any changes unless errors are shown in the Domains panel.

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Would you like your customers to be able to mark their favourite products in your Squarespace store?