South African Payment Gateways

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Good Day,

Are payment gateways for South African clients only limited to Stripe and PayPal?

Are Yoco/PayFast/SnapScan/Peach Payments etc. not included in your offering?

If any of the listed are, please provide a link.

Thank you. x

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Solution
2 hours ago, LuP said:

Are payment gateways for South African clients only limited to Stripe and PayPal?

Online payments can be a problem if you’re trying to use Squarespace for commerce in South Africa because Squarespace only supports PayPal and Stripe, and neither of them are South Africa friendly.

I wrote a short post about this here, including details of a workaround, but this is far from an ideal situation.

Using Squarespace in South Africa with PayFast, Netcash or Rave

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 7 months later...

Good day. 

I currently have two sites on squarespace, one for a type of wholesaler and the other just for advertising. We have done our research and when we wanted to add payment methods like paypal or stripe we struggled and after days only discovered that it won't work. some people have asked questions about this and all that was replied is that it might be a problem, nowhere does it indicate that it definitely WON'T work. I had to subscribe to another platform where this is possible. 

As you are aware, this site costs a lot of money and I am looking to require about a refund in order for me to get my site up and running on another platform. 

Also, there seems to be a deduction every month of +- R100 something, nowhere has this been indicated as well and I would like to stop using this platform urgently. 

Please let me know how we can proceed going forward. Please send me an email at admin@thecreativecurrents.co.za

Thanks

Marisa 

• 2 weeks later...

Good day. 

I currently have two sites on squarespace, one for a type of wholesaler and the other just for advertising. We have done our research and when we wanted to add payment methods like paypal or stripe we struggled and after days only discovered that it won't work. some people have asked questions about this and all that was replied is that it might be a problem, nowhere does it indicate that it definitely WON'T work. I had to subscribe to another platform where this is possible. 

As you are aware, this site costs a lot of money and I am looking to require about a refund in order for me to get my site up and running on another platform. 

Also, there seems to be a deduction every month of +- R100 something, nowhere has this been indicated as well and I would like to stop using this platform urgently. 

Please let me know how we can proceed going forward. Please send me an email at admin@thecreativecurrents.co.za

Thanks

Marisa 

3 hours ago, Franschhoek said:

some people have asked questions about [taking payments in South Africa] and all that was replied is that it might be a problem, nowhere does it indicate that it definitely WON'T work.

If your business is entirely based in South Africa, you cannot use Squarespace for online sales yet.

You cannot take payment cards because Stripe does not support South African businesses. In addition, PayPal does not support South African Rand (ZAR).

Does that help @Franschhoek ?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...

Hi @paul2009

I'm not sure if you are aware but in 2020 Stripe acquired Paystack, making it a Stripe subsidiary that has reach in South Africa, Nigeria, Kenya and Ghana.

Given that Stripe is already onboarded as a payment processor on Squarespace, it would be ideal if African based businesses could be given the option of logging into their "Stripe x Paystack" accounts. This would solve the issues that have left many of us underserviced by the current payment processors and workarounds.

In the past using Paypal was sufficient but the biggest limitations are now with digital products as we cannot offer fixed installment or subscription pricing plans. Given current economic conditions, offering fixed amount one-time payments only means most African customers won't afford digital products on our websites. Without installments or subscription pricing plans we would be cutting out most of our customers.  

In your opinion, what are the best avenues of making the Squarespace team aware of the above limitations and how the underserviced African businesses could be serviced by a Stripe subsidiary? 

Regards, 

Thato

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 15.44.48.png

Edited by thato
Typing error
2 hours ago, thato said:

Hi @paul2009 

I'm not sure if you are aware but in 2020 Stripe acquired Paystack...In your opinion, what are the best avenues of making the Squarespace team aware of the above limitations and how the underserviced African businesses could be serviced by a Stripe subsidiary? 

Hi @thato. You've already done the right thing by raising a Circle feature request 🙂.

Edited by paul2009