paginating events list page for faster page speed

This website has a lot of events on it. The events page is now loading very slowly to the point where the user experience is poor. Is there a way to improve page speed other than the usual things - I'm looking for solutions specific to the events list page. Is there a way to paginate and limit the number of items on the page for instance? Thanks. 

Can you share a link to the page?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 5 months later...
On 12/10/2023 at 12:10 AM, WatersWaters said:

Did anyone find a solution for this? I have over 200 events per month, and the events page loads very slowly. I'd like it to display 30 events, and then have a "next page" link at the bottom

I'm not aware of any issues. Events pages support up to 350 events per month and should be able to display up to 250 upcoming events without any performance issues. Can you share a link to the page?

The Events List page cannot be paginated because it is designed to download all the events when the page loads; showing the first 30 events would not prevent the remaining events from loading.

To paginate the events list you'll probably want to feed them into a Summary Block, but this can only display 30 events so, if you want to load more than 30 events, you'll need some code to load more events on demand. There's an excellent paid plugin available that can do this called Lazy Summaries. (This is an affiliate link for a product I use and love. If you make a purchase I may receive a small commission.)

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 months later...
On 12/11/2023 at 12:08 AM, paul2009 said:

I'm not aware of any issues. Events pages support up to 350 events per month and should be able to display up to 250 upcoming events without any performance issues. Can you share a link to the page?

The Events List page cannot be paginated because it is designed to download all the events when the page loads; showing the first 30 events would not prevent the remaining events from loading.

To paginate the events list you'll probably want to feed them into a Summary Block, but this can only display 30 events so, if you want to load more than 30 events, you'll need some code to load more events on demand. There's an excellent paid plugin available that can do this called Lazy Summaries. (This is an affiliate link for a product I use and love. If you make a purchase I may receive a small commission.)

Hi @paul2009, is the Lazy summaries plugin still the only workaround to display more than 30 events using summary block instead of having a scroll down events page? I list 100s of events for 2 cities so trying to make it easier for people to avoid lots of scrolling. I already have filtering and search setup but the list display on the events page is a killer and to add to more pain - the summary block 30 events limitations sucks. I see removing showing past events makes no difference on limitations. I just want all events displayed in a different way hence summary block. thanks

https://busycitykids.com.au/melbourne-calendar-events

17 hours ago, catalienne said:

is the Lazy summaries plugin still the only workaround to display more than 30 events using summary block instead of having a scroll down events page? I just want all events displayed in a different way hence summary block.

There isn't a built in feature to display more than 30 items using a Summary Block, and there is no indication that anything is on the horizon, although it is a popular request and I live in hope! 🙂

You could custom code a solution to display more than 30 items, but you'd be left with the support burden, which is why I think the Lazy Summaries plugin is worth every penny. At least until there's a built-in feature.