Redirecting domain from IONOS to Squarespace

Hi I'm trying to redirect my domain from IONOS to Squarespace and am getting impatient!  The current status 24 hours in says "connection in progress".  Will this happen on its own or do I need to do something the IONOS dns settings?  I've watched some youtube videos and it seems conflicting as what needs to be done.  I've tried to put the DNS settings into IONOS but it won't accept the second CNAME.  Hoping someone can advice please?

• Replies 4
  • Views 780
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To offer help, we'll need more information. Please provide the domain name and details of what you have done so far.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks for replying

The domain is smithspropertyphotography.co.uk

So far i have followed the link on domains on squarespace site & said I want to use a domain I own and leave it with IONOS.  Status says connection in progress.  

I have tried to change the DNS settings myself.  The first CNAME was ok but the second one gets an error message - "A CNAME record can only be set for a subdomain.  To alias your main domain please use redirect"

Thats as far as I've got.

53 minutes ago, Eddieisacherry said:

I have tried to change the DNS settings myself.  The first CNAME was ok but the second one gets an error message - "A CNAME record can only be set for a subdomain.  To alias your main domain please use redirect"

You'll need to delete the existing AAAA and A records from your domain before adding the Squarespace records.

Try following the steps in the guide Manually connecting a 1&1 IONOS domain to your Squarespace site.

Let us know how you get on. 

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.