Domain can't be added because already in use on another site

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

I've built a site for a client and we're ready to set up the domain, but it appears that they've previously used the domain on another site.

The domain resolves to an expired site. I suspect this site was owned/made by the previous person they contracted for this job.

I have access to the DNS file for this domain (GoDaddy). It looks like the Squarespace was either never set up, or partially set up.

I think I need Squarespace to help me with this. The old site owner is MIA.

• Replies 5
  • Views 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solution
On 1/1/2023 at 6:55 AM, jmsmi said:

Domain can't be added because already in use on another site

Please contact Squarespace Customer Care directly about this. They will need to manually disconnect your client's domain from the old site. 

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.

Here is the form support shared with me:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?platform=v6&ticket_form_id=360000136328&websiteId=63b122b0563bdf35e0cb7847

Unfortunately it requires that I can contact the site owner, but I don't know who it is. I am certain that it was an earlier site made for the same client because if I load the page and cancel/stop the page from fully loading I can see it uses the same assets that were shared with me by the client.

What is the domain name?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

16 hours ago, jmsmi said:

Unfortunately it requires that I can contact the site owner, but I don't know who it is. I am certain that it was an earlier site made for the same client because if I load the page and cancel/stop the page from fully loading I can see it uses the same assets that were shared with me by the client.

There are two ways to resolve this.

Check if your client has an old Squarespace login that they were given for the old site. If they ever paid for the old site, they will have logged on to the site to do so (assuming the site was live at some point). Once logged on at https://elephant-grapefruit-f8zr.squarespace.com/config/, you should be able to disconnect the domain manually.

If your client doesn't recall any account details, you should be able to contact Squarespace Customer Care and ask them to disconnect the domain (shibainushibainu.com). I recommend trying to resolve this them via live chat because it will be easier and less time consuming than by email.

You should not need to complete a form to confirm ownership of any website. You should only need to confirm ownership of the domain. If it is your client's domain, it is perfectly reasonable to ask for the domain record to be removed from a site you don't own. You can prove that you have control of the domain by offering to create a TXT record of their choice 🙂

When Squarespace have disconnected the domain, you can connect it to the new website. 

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009