IDeal and Bancontact possible with Squarespace

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi all,

I am a small businessowner in Belgium, building websites for small businesses. And I love Squarespace.

However, in Belgium, customers want to pay with Bancontact. And in The Netherlands (same language-region) they want to pay with IDeal. Both options are not possible in Squarespace and that really influences the popularity of Squarespace. We have to invent a lot of workarounds for shops and member areas.

And I would LOVE LOVE to use the platform in its full power!

I know it is possibe in Stripe to use Bancontact and IDeal. Anyone any ideas on this? Why is this option not available in Squarespace?

Thanks for your thoughts and support on this.

Heidi

• Solution

Heidi

I’ve been advocating for European payment options including iDEAL, Mollie and Bancontact for 4-5 years - this is one of the limitations that I wrote about in 2018 (updated for 2023). Unfortunately, Squarespace teams have not been able to prioritise this yet. Internationalisation is an important element of their growth plans in 2023/24 so I’m hoping we will see some progress on this soon!

You can make a feature request and ensure it is seen by the right people at Squarespace by using a support ticket via Squarespace Customer Care.

Please see some existing threads about this subject:

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

14 minutes ago, MetMenna said:

Would you recommend Shopify button rather than Ecwid...

Honestly, it depends on your situation because they are all workarounds and some are better at shipping and others are better at digital products and so on.

A perfect solution would be built-in support from Squarespace 🤞

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 4 months later...

Ouch, finished my website on Squarespace and just found out that there's no satisfying payment solution for European clients 😲

I should've done better research. But Squarespace seemed to be a better solution for me than Shopify. And now it isn't.

• 2 weeks later...

now i feel the pain of hard work and not beeing able to use it of this problem. its a shame.

i think they would do amazing when they implement this.

hope som of thear developers reads the forum so this get fixet soon...

shopify is whay more complicaded and less powerfull as squarespace. 

Mollie is a would be a great opening for just a start 

1 hour ago, PartyHoppers said:

hope som of thear developers reads the forum so this get fixet soon

You can make a feature request and ensure it is seen by the right people at Squarespace by using a support ticket via Squarespace Customer Care.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I’m struggling with the same thing!

I’m no expert and I probably misunderstand because I’m not very familiar with Squarespace yet, BUT:

I see that there’s an option “Check out on your domain” which means you get redirected to a website to finish checkout, instead of Squarspace (right?). Paul already mentioned redirecting to Shopify, which is honestly a great idea, but can’t you also redirect to plugandpay (which has an option for ideal)? So the checkout takes place there? Or maybe there’s other websites which can be used for checkout and are bit cheaper than Shopify too..?

Apologies if I’m forgetting/misunderstanding something, I’m just really eager to find a solution :))

Edited by MissGiggles
4 hours ago, MissGiggles said:

I see that there’s an option “Check out on your domain” which means you get redirected to a website to finish checkout, instead of Squarespace (right?).

You cannot change the payment provider on Squarespace commerce. You can use Stripe and/or PayPal.

The "Checkout on your domain" feature just means that your website domain is used for the checkout page instead of squarespace.com.

• 4 months later...
On 4/12/2023 at 4:42 PM, ralfscho said:

Ouch, finished my website on Squarespace and just found out that there's no satisfying payment solution for European clients 😲

I should've done better research. But Squarespace seemed to be a better solution for me than Shopify. And now it isn't.

Yes same here! very disappointing. I read somewhere that it should be possible through a workaround. But I don't know exactly how to do this yet. But I am thinking of leaving squarespace because of this. Because also the help center is inaccessible. It loads me every time to an artikel. Did you find allready a way to go around it and instal plug&pay? 

1 hour ago, saskiabok said:

I read somewhere that it should be possible [to add a satisfying payment solution for European clients] through a workaround. But I don't know exactly how to do this yet.

@saskiabok It isn't possible to add a European payment method like iDEAL, Mollie or Bancontact to Squarespace Commerce. It simply is not possible.

The only workaround is to bypass Squarespace Commerce (avoid the Squarespace Cart, avoid the Squarespace Checkout, avoid the Squarespace Shipping and Pickup options, and avoid the Squarespace inventory management features) by using "buy buttons" to pass sales through an alternative platform. If it helps, I wrote about how to use Shopify Buy Buttons with Squarespace but I only recommend this for very small stores. If you have a larger store and need to take iDEAL or Bancontact before 2025 then the sad but honest answer is that you'll need to use a different platform.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hey all! I created a twitter purely dedicated to advocating more EU payment method integration. Please like and retweet if you agree! 

Backstory: I am an intern at a circular design non-profit with 170 employees. I have been busy making a nice Squarespace website and calling meetings to get everyone on board. I got everyone excited in making the shift from a tangled up messy wordpress with many plugins. They love how the new site looks, and can't wait to work with it. (work in progress, but here's the link: https://trumpet-orange-f9cn.squarespace.com/ ) 

I tried many websitebuilders including wix and shopify. No one meets our needs like squarespace does. I thought after a quick google search that I could just use the essential european/dutch payment methods through Stripe. That appears to be untrue. 

https://www.ideal.nl/en integration is a hard requirement for our site, as many of our clients use it. Now I reaaally don't want to go to my boss and coworkers and let them down! So I'm trying to have squarespace fix it asap! please help me make it happen 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

👋 Squarespace,

iDeal integration would be a project with awesome ROI, as iDeal (an originally Dutch and proven payment solution) was sold to the EU to become the standard European Payment Initiative (EPI).

More info here: https://www.epicompany.eu/epi-successfully-completes-acquisition-of-ideal-and-payconiq-international/

iDeal stats (from government statistics organisation CBS) are solid: https://www.remcotolsma.nl/2023/11/aantal-ideal-transacties-en-totaal-bedragen-volgens-het-cbs/

Also, iDeal launched "in3" last week, which competes with Klarna by adding the option to pay in 3 parts (1st immediately, 2nd after 30 days, 3rd after 60 days) within the standard flow.

Unfortunately, we need to create a custom Stripe API integration for our Squarespace solution to meet our deadlines, but native integration at a later stage would still be appreciated and help you scale your product in Europe further.

✌️