Transfer subscription to another website on my account

I just created a new version of my website from scratch. But my billing is linked to the old site (I did't know we were billed per site instead of per account). 

Can I just transfer my paid subscription from the old site to the new one? I am owner of both accounts. 

I hope this is possible to avoid having to redo my old site!  

Any advice much appreciated!

• Replies 5
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Bradley72 said:

Can I just transfer my paid subscription from the old site to the new one?

No. You must upgrade your new trial site to a paid subscription and then cancel your old site. The support guide Moving from Squarespace version 7.0 to version 7.1 checklist may help, regardless of the version(s) being used.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 year later...

So, from the answer above - I create a new yearly subscription for my newly-built site, which then allows me to transfer my domain. But then what happens to the yearly subscription fee I paid on the old site (prior to transfer)? Squarespace pretty emphatically states that they don't give refunds for cancellations after the first 14 days of a subscription period - and I still have nearly ten months left on the old site. Does that get prorated and transferred to the new activation?

17 hours ago, MegZ said:

But then what happens to the yearly subscription fee I paid on the old site (prior to transfer)? Does that get prorated and transferred to the new activation?

The website subscription cannot be transferred to the new website. As explained above, you must upgrade the new site by taking out a new, paid subscription. However, if you had remaining time in the old site’s annual subscription when you switched sites, you should be eligible for a prorated refund (as explained in this help guide).

You can apply for a refund using this form.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

I see that this is from a year ago, but I just did the same thing. I have an active account with a domain and I created a new site under a trial. I want to use the same info for trafficking purposes because our website is on other information. I just wanted to update the look of it without having to pay again. In order to use a new template, I really have to purchase a whole new domain? this is really confusing? I just want a pretty website. Any help is appreciated. For reference, mine, just renewed for the year. TIA

Edited by AngieRG
  • 1 month later...

Hi all! I get that I have to buy my trial website in order to move my domain to it. So what do I do then? Cancel my original subscription?  What if I have pre-paid for a year and have 7 months to go on my original subscription? I used a trial to have access to 7.1 template options because it just seemed easier than messing around with my old site or adapting another template. 

Also, I have two other domains that redirect automatically to my main domain - all managed by squarespace. Once I move my main domain, will the other two also redirect automatically?

Thanks for your help everyone!