Email usage after transferring the domain

Hi.  I am new to squarespace.  I currently have a domain with GoDaddy but would like to transfer my domain to squarespace and publish what I have already created here.  I haven't done this before and I am leery about the transfer.  How smooth is the process as far as the email accounts that are linked to the website currently?  Once I switch to squarespace, do the email addresses automatically transfer and there is no "hiccup" in the email work flow?  Or do they need to be set up again because the current emails will no longer work?  I do not want to mess up any of the email accounts.  HELP!

• Replies 2
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be leery! Transferring email can go very bad very quickly. Up to and including losing your current emails.

Unless you've had some experience with the process I suggest hiring a consultant. There are many subtle issues that are involved when transferring email. Even a seasoned consultant can run into issues.

In general is it of course possible to transfer your domain name and email hosting over to SS. To be clear, just transferring your domain registration does not automatically carry your email hosting over with it, nor any other services you may have attached to your domain name.

So to minimize lost emails or downtime you'll want to have your new email hosting set up as much as possible ahead of time so that when the domain is transferred you update the DNS records.

SS has a partnership with Google Workspace for email services. Before you go buying anything you'll want to plan and set up ahead of time to make sure you are buying the right pieces. You don't have to use GW. There are other email hosting services out there. I don't have any recommendations. But the last time I went looking it was hard to find an email hosting provider that didn't also want you to host your domain name with them. That is important if you want to transfer your domain to SS.

I use GW for my personal and business email. It works well but GW is a fairly complex tool to use. I don't fault G for that as this is a complex area and they do a pretty good job of making it as painless as possible.

My main concern for projects like this is email preservation. Most folks who have email have stuff they want to keep.

If you're on Apple Mail or Outlook, an app, adding a new account is pretty easy. You basically leave the current account as is. Set up a new account that points to your new email provider. On Apple Mail it is also pretty easy to slowly and carefully move emails out of the old account into the new account, basically unifying everything under the new account for convenience. Not sure if Outlook can do that but I'd be surprised if not.

Again this is a very general overview of a fairly complex issue.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have a referral for a good consultant who can assist me with exactly this service? I have run into issues before when redesigning a client's website and moving them to squarespace.  It is such a horrible feeling when you break someone's email! I am looking to hire a pro for this step in the process, right when we are ready to go live with the new site.