Wordpress Export to SS

Greetings.  I am working with a client that currently uses Wordpress.  I'm designing their new site in SS.

They have a rather extensive blog, with great content, so we definitely want that content on their new site.  I have successfully exported their content to an xml file, and it actually imported into SS fairly well.  However.... none of the associated images seemed to transfer over.  Anybody else ran into this?  They have easily 150-250 blog entries, so manually putting images in there isn't an option that I'm excited about.

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, jaypea said:

I have successfully exported their [Wordpress] content to an xml file, and it actually imported into SS fairly well.  However.... none of the associated images seemed to transfer over.

I have not seen this issue. Was the Wordpress site still live and domain connected when the file was imported?

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

30 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

I have not seen this issue. Was the Wordpress site still live and domain connected when the file was imported?

Thanks for the response.  The Wordpress site was, and is still live.  I haven't quite finished the project yet.  I don't have the domain connected yet, so perhaps there's a flaw in my process?  If I click on any of the broken images, I receive the attached screenshot.  Thanks again for responding.

Screen Shot 2022-10-20 at 5.34.00 PM.png

Based on that error message, I recommend that you contact Squarespace Customer Care directly. Do include that error when you contact them. Let us know how you get on.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

The SS Wordpress importer is very temperamental in my experience. The only way I've been able to get images to import has been to massage the XML file.

When you imported did the importer report any errors?

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Ash_007 said:

What type of massaging did you do?

If I had a answer I would have provided it. The problem is this is not something I do on a regular basis and the import is so broken even if I did come up with one, I can't guarantee that it would work for anyone else.

The main issues I've noticed is a missing guid element. Which if I recall correctly, SS complained about. I also seem to recall issues with the blog name and having to reload the browser page to make the newly imported blog show up in Pages.

Every time I need to do this type of task again, I basically have to start from scratch and meet the challenges of the particular import scenario.

If anyone does have a solid how to, please post so we can all benefit!

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.