Connecting a cpanel domain

A client has a domain that's managed via cpanel and we're struggling to get the DNS settings to connect properly.

I have followed all the how-tos online and everything else is perfect, however it's refusing to connect to the ext-cust.squarespace.com because the cpanel won't accept www as the host name.

All A settings have gone through fine, along with the first CNAME - it's just this one that we cannot connect.

Does anyone have any experience or solutions for this? Thank you 🙂

• Replies 8
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, lh-cl-2021 said:

it's refusing to connect to the ext-cust.squarespace.com because the cpanel won't accept www as the host name.

This usually occurs when there is already a CNAME record with that hostname. If that is not the issue, please provide us with more information please.

For example, a screenshot of the DNS hosting panel showing the error when you try to add the CNAME record. Please include the full panel, including the domain name and other records not just the error.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

57 minutes ago, Annabel said:

Yes, I have the exact same issue!

Hi @lh-cl-2021 and @Annabel 

As I mentioned in my earlier reply, this error will appear when a record already exists with the same hostname - www in both your examples.

Your screenshots don't show all the records but when I do a lookup, both domains appear to have an existing www record (a record with the name www.) and you are therefore being prevented from creating another. This is because you can only have one record per hostname.

In the case of www.automatedcontrolsuk.com, there is a CNAME with the record automatedcontrolsuk.com whereas it should be ext-cust.squarespace.com. Instead of trying to create a new CNAME record, you should be able to click Edit beside the existing record and change it.

In the case of totalbooks.net.au, you appear to have an A record with the name www. You'll need to delete this before you can create the CNAME.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thank you so much for your reply and help!
One issue, I can't view my A records and thus can't edit the one that says 'www'? 

It tells me that they successfully register but I don't know how to see them as they are not in my list. 

Do you know how I can edit them?

17 minutes ago, Annabel said:

One issue, I can't view my A records

If you click MANAGE next to your domain name, you should be able to see a list of all current records, filtered by type.

image.thumb.png.c05f4d2df6e6dec3d4cf02ff204b2f31.png

If you can't see them, then I recommend you contact your domain name supplier directly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 1:02 PM, paul2009 said:

In the case of www.automatedcontrolsuk.com, there is a CNAME with the record automatedcontrolsuk.com whereas it should be ext-cust.squarespace.com. Instead of trying to create a new CNAME record, you should be able to click Edit beside the existing record and change it.

Thanks Paul - I've had a look and only one CNAME appears in the list - the verify.squarespace.com one, so I'm unable to edit any existing ext-cust CNAMEs as they're not showing up my side... Is there a way to solve this?

34 minutes ago, lh-cl-2021 said:

I've had a look and only one CNAME appears in the list - the verify.squarespace.com one, so I'm unable to edit any existing ext-cust CNAME

The existing CNAME record is named 'www' and whilst this is correct, the data is incorrect as it should include ext-cust as described here. It currently looks like this:

image.thumb.png.689fa217f8c944b687639665b41e4551.png

If you are unsure how to change this, I recommend that you reach out to your DNS provider for support.