Showing instock quantity in check out

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

I have an online store that goes "live" at a particular time.  Customers are notified of this time and items are scheduled.  Sales all happen very quickly.

The issue I have is as follows:

• Product Z has total inventory of 10
  • Customer A adds 10 items of Product Z to their cart, continues to shop adding more products of X Y etc to their cart.
  • Customer B adds 5 of Product Z to their cart and checks out before Customer A. 
  • Customer A then proceeds to cart, but Product Z does not show an inventory change until they proceed to payment.

I would like to see if its possible for Customer A to see this when they proceed to check out, rather than once they have completed payment details etc?

thank you

• Replies 3
  • Views 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Solution
On 8/15/2022 at 8:46 AM, hconnor said:

The issue I have is [that the fastest customer to complete the checkout process is able to deplete the stock of a product].

I would like to see if its possible for [a customer to see live stock levels] when they proceed to check out, rather than once they have completed payment details etc?

It isn't practical to do this for two reasons:

1. The checkout page cannot be customised on Squarespace. You cannot add any information, such as a message about stock, to the checkout page because the page is "locked down" to prevent code from affecting the secure payments process. 
  2. As I explained in this post, the products will only be removed from inventory when a customer completes checkout. As the checkout process can be quite lengthy (name, address, shipping, payment) it is likely that, during a flash sale, several customers will be attempting to go through the checkout process at the same time. 
Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks for your response Paul, much appreciated.  Is it possible to show stock levels to the customer at the check out, rather than just a message below?

Examples I have seen on other websites are "there is only 3 available of this item" etc.  This would allow the customer to quickly change the QTY before submitting payment.

testing site.png

4 hours ago, hconnor said:

Is it possible to show stock levels to the customer at the check out, rather than just a message below?

No, it is not possible to customise the checkout page in any way. This page is locked down by Squarespace to prevent code from affecting the secure payments process. Customers can only enter alternative quantities by trial and error to see how many are available.

To make a feature request, please contact Squarespace Customer Care using a support ticket.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.