Memberspace to Squarespace Member Areas

Hi,

I'm helping a client move from Memberspace to Squarespace Member Areas because they want to have everything on the same platform. I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure out how the memberships can be transferred. 

I believe canceling the Memberspace account will not affect any recurring payment plans set up by her current subscribers as long as we use the same payment processor. However, we would have to have them sign up again to be members on Squarespace Member Areas (for free this time) because Member Areas doesn't have any import - is that correct?

Has anyone done this before? How did you manage the sign-up process on SQSP? We would have to keep it free for existing members (who already have the payments set up on the payment processing platform) but paid for anyone new?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Edited by amritanan
  • 4 weeks later...

@amritanan yes, you would need the members to sign up for Squarespace Members Areas - there is currently no way to import them. You can set up a coupon code for them to use so that their membership is "free" on Squarespace. Just be sure the discount is set to be applied to all subscription or membership fee renewal payments, including the first payment.

christyprice.com  🇺🇸 Austin, TX US 

Get my 100+ item Client Process Checklist for $17.
📔 Flourish Journal for Creative Entrepreneurs - 365 days of prompts
🎥 Watch Circle Live: Hello Income (feat. Christy Price and Jeremy Schwartz)
🎬 Watch It's Not Hard to Say Goodbye: Crafting Client Offboarding from Circle Day 2023

On 8/24/2021 at 10:56 AM, christyprice said:

@amritanan yes, you would need the members to sign up for Squarespace Members Areas - there is currently no way to import them. You can set up a coupon code for them to use so that their membership is "free" on Squarespace. Just be sure the discount is set to be applied to all subscription or membership fee renewal payments, including the first payment.

Thanks! However, my client decided to stick with Memberspace because they didn't want to take the risk of losing clients during the switch 😞

• 8 months later...
On 8/1/2021 at 10:30 PM, amritanan said:

Hi,

I'm helping a client move from Memberspace to Squarespace Member Areas because they want to have everything on the same platform. I'm having a bit of trouble trying to figure out how the memberships can be transferred. 

I believe canceling the Memberspace account will not affect any recurring payment plans set up by her current subscribers as long as we use the same payment processor. However, we would have to have them sign up again to be members on Squarespace Member Areas (for free this time) because Member Areas doesn't have any import - is that correct?

Has anyone done this before? How did you manage the sign-up process on SQSP? We would have to keep it free for existing members (who already have the payments set up on the payment processing platform) but paid for anyone new?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Did you try and return to this? My client also wants to make the switch and fears losing current members. Has the process improved since?

1 hour ago, TellusMedia said:

Has the process improved since?

The process has not changed.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 5/13/2022 at 3:08 AM, TellusMedia said:

Did you try and return to this? My client also wants to make the switch and fears losing current members. Has the process improved since?

Nope, that client decided to stay with their existing membership service.