Jump to content

Managing the EU Vat Reform from 1st July

Recommended Posts

Hi,

My website currently ships internationally from the UK to EU countries without vat being charged.  From 1st July, changes to EU Vat rules state that for any orders under €150 euros, vat should be charged at the countries rate.  Above €150 no vat to charge.

I cannot see a way how i can charge vat on orders under a certain value by country.

Alternatively, i can amend the website to only accept orders above the €150 euro value, but this would be sitewide.

I would have thought squarespace would be aware of these changes and made the following option available:

1.  Set minimum order value by country

Any news if this is going to happen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cerianne

Edited by Cerianne
Spelling
Link to comment

It would be helpful if someone at Squarespace would reply.

I have tried contacting them directly by email.  We have only 2 weeks left to act.

I know shopify have made changed to their ecommerce platform.

SQUARESPACE what are you going to do to accomodate?

Link to comment
On 6/10/2021 at 2:10 PM, Cerianne said:

My website currently ships internationally from the UK to EU countries without vat being charged. From 1st July, changes to EU Vat rules state that for any orders under €150 euros, vat should be charged at the country's rate. Above €150 no vat to charge. I cannot see a way how i can charge vat on orders under a certain value by country.

VAT arrangements were fairly straightforward before Brexit but they will be a nightmare from 1st July. 

The rules vary according to where you are in the United Kingdom (Great Britain or Northern Ireland), whether you are selling goods or services, the value of the goods, the threshold of EU sales, your VAT registration status and so on. 🤯

Complex sales tax has never been Squarespace's forte - even in the US - and they've only recently started beta testing TaxJar to calculate sales tax in the US. I therefore doubt that they'll have the resources to address the post-Brexit VAT situation any time soon. Difficult though the situation is, I wouldn't expect to see any changes this year.

 

 

I'm not an Accountant. This post does not constitute legal, tax or accounting advice. For professional advice, I recommend you contact a qualified Accountant.

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all. I'm wondering if anyone at Squarespace is aware of the new rules that came in today in relation to this thread? @Tony_SQSP...worth making the Product Owner of this aware?

I wasn't aware of the rules because I don't sell but a client contacted me yesterday (!) asking if there's a solution. She passed me a link to taxomo.com but not sure it'll be an easy integration. The obvious solution would be for the platform to be updated or one of the Extensions such as TaxJar, mentioned by @paul2009 above to be updated to allow this. To E-commerce platforms surely this shouldn't have come as a surprise. In the meantime, the client is going to have to stop selling to the EU and is pushing that traffic to their Etsy store. Not great for Squarespace, especially those on an E-commerce plan that would expect to get this kind of stuff as standard.

Link to comment
40 minutes ago, noblescott said:

I'm wondering if anyone at Squarespace is aware of the new rules that came in today.

It certainly shouldn't be a shock to Squarespace as an ecommerce provider operating in Europe. The law was supposed to take effect in January but was postponed to July to give the Member States more time to prepare during Corona.

Me: I'm Paul, a SQSP user for >18 yrs & Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL. We provide high quality original extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is completely free. You can thank me by selecting a feedback emoji. Buying a coffee is generous but optional.

Link to comment
On 7/1/2021 at 10:51 AM, noblescott said:

[...]In the meantime, the client is going to have to stop selling to the EU and is pushing that traffic to their Etsy store. Not great for Squarespace, especially those on an E-commerce plan that would expect to get this kind of stuff as standard.

This is ultimately what I had to do as well. As a one-person operation, it's just not feasible for me to sell to Europe through Squarespace at this time.

Link to comment
  • 2 months later...

Like others, I'm hugely disappointed by the lack of action from Squarespace on this major disruption to e-commerce activities.

As a UK-based charity, many of whose members are based in the EU and thus are sent our publications and will now have to pay VAT and possibly a handling fee too just to receive them, this is a major headache for us.

Unless Squarespace is able to offer a cost-effective solution very soon, like others we will simply have to move platforms to an e-commerce platform that does address this critical issue. 

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 10:48 AM, Bricker said:

Like others, I'm hugely disappointed by the lack of action from Squarespace on this major disruption to e-commerce activities.

As a UK-based charity, many of whose members are based in the EU and thus are sent our publications and will now have to pay VAT and possibly a handling fee too just to receive them, this is a major headache for us.

Unless Squarespace is able to offer a cost-effective solution very soon, like others we will simply have to move platforms to an e-commerce platform that does address this critical issue. 

Squarespace Customer Care have just confirmed you cannot set VAT rates per product. This means the platform can no longer be considered tenable for e-commerce sales to customers within the EU. Consequently, after more than a dozen years with the platform, I shall be moving my business elsewhere. 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

×
×
  • Create New...

Squarespace Webinars

Free online sessions where you’ll learn the basics and refine your Squarespace skills.

Hire a Designer

Stand out online with the help of an experienced designer or developer.