Migration from Squarespace to Squarespace

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Site URL: https://www.ethernectar.com/%20https://overlandart.art/

I have a Squarespace blog (https://www.ethernectar.com/) and an ecommerce site (https://overlandart.art/) and want to migrate the blog contents over to the ecommerce site to simplify my online life a bit. 

There's no easy way to do this apparently (which I find a bit curious/suspicious - but it is what it is). I've done the export Squarespace content/import to a wordpress installation/download wordpress content/import back into Squarespace process and while the text content is there, the images are broken. When going into edit those pages there are image blocks that just spin forever so they have to be deleted one at a time, which is tedious at best. It seems that I'll be copy/pasting the content block by block and then adding images back in manually. 

Anyone have any tips or tricks?

• 7 months later...

I've tried this too. But, the Import failed.

Basically, Export Squarespace to WordPress XML. Import to another Squarespace from the WordPress XML = failed.
So, in my case, I can't even get the partial transfer completed.
Is my only option to actually go to WordPress?

Seems that way.

Seems like a missed opportunity for Squarespace. I'm actually being directed AWAY from the other Squarespace sites I pay for.

• Solution
On 1/7/2022 at 7:40 PM, dave.nelson said:

Migration from Squarespace to Squarespace. Seems like a missed opportunity for Squarespace.

There isn't a native tool for migrating a blog from one Squarespace site but there's an excellent third party "PRO Tool" available from Squarewebsites that does this with relative ease. It's a Chrome extension called the SquareTools Extension.

Alternatively a Squarespace Expert can probably take care of migrating a blog for less than the cost of the extension.

Edited by paul2009
added URL

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2022 at 9:43 AM, JessicaConwayCBR said:

What's the third party site [where this tool can be purchased]?

It's a Chrome extension called the Tools PRO Extension, available from Squarewebsites.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2022 at 2:44 AM, TFC said:

have you used [the SquareTools Extension] yet?

Yes.  I have used the Pro version for years and use it daily. It's used for Squarespace sites only, so can help with moving from Squarespace to another Squarespace site, not with WP.

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

On 3/3/2022 at 2:24 AM, paul2009 said:

Yes.  I have used the Pro version for years and use it daily.

I went to them and unfortunately they are in Ukraine and unavailable. I feel awful for them!  @paul2009 We successfully moved the blogs over from Wordpress to SS via the importer but our issue now is the URLs don't match up (trying to figure out if there is a way to do this easily vs 1x1 ) and there are about 300+ blogs. In addition, the blogs came over as unpublished and to get them to publish to the right date requires a 1x1 publishing of each one manually. Do you have any tips here? If you have an easier/faster way to do this I'd love to bring you on to help. Thank you!!

14 minutes ago, TFC said:

We successfully moved the blogs over from Wordpress to SS via the importer but...the URLs don't match up. In addition, the blogs came over as unpublished.

The URL issue is a common concern. If the titles remain the same but the slug is different you may be able to add a URL redirect like this:

/old-blog-name/posts/[name] -> /new-blog-name/[name] 301

I've not seen the unpublished issue before. It may be worth running this past Customer Care to see if this is normal or a bug.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

11 hours ago, paul2009 said:

The URL issue is a common concern. If the titles remain the same but the slug is different you may be able to add a URL redirect like this:

/old-blog-name/posts/[name] -> /new-blog-name/[name] 301

Thank you! Yes - the url mapping is a headache bc there are almost 400 blogs.... sigh.

Good to know on the unpublished bit - thanks again!

I've not seen the unpublished issue before. It may be worth running this past Customer Care to see if this is normal or a bug.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2022 at 12:06 PM, paul2009 said:

It's a Chrome extension called the SquareTools Extension, available from Squarewebsites.

I am trying it out to move some content (blog mainly) from a ss7 to a ss7.1 and I must say it works great!

After hassling with xml export from ss and import into wordpress then export to xml and import to ss, this extension is way better.