Safety Feature: "quick exit button" causes page to turn blank while it redirects

I have a unique need as I build a site for a shelter for abuse victims. They want their site to have a "quick exit button" which a person can click at any time if an abuser walks into the room to quickly exit the site (probably leading to Google). But the shelter is also in a remote area with slow internet, so there is going to be a 2-5 second delay or more while the page redirects.

I'm trying to come up with a solution that would instantly turn the whole page blank/white on button click to hide it while the site redirects. Any ideas out there? Here is an example of the kind of "quick exit button" my client wants: https://www.safv.org/

You could close the window instead of a redirect with some Javascript.

close ( );

This can be used in an anchor tag/link.

javascript: close ( );

You could remove the HTML with some Javascript before the redirect.

const n = document.getElementsByTagName ( 'HTML' ) [ 0 ];

n.parentNode.removeChild ( n );

location.href = '[enter url here between single quotes]';

But overall I think it would be better if possible to get them into a private browsing window ASAP because of history tracking.  Then use the close window technique. At least once in a private browsing window and it closes the activity there isn't traceable.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 8:27 PM, creedon said:

get them into a private browsing window ASAP because of history tracking

Thanks so much for this reply @creedon, I'm just seeing it now. This is super helpful! I will play around with these options.

I thought of exactly what you mentioned about history tracking... the "quick exit button" seems like a pretty shaky solution if the url is in their recent browsing history! Is there a link I could put in the announcement bar that opens the website in an incognito window, to have people click that before they even start browsing? I've never tried that or researched that before. But even in that case, they would have already opened the website in their standard browser to begin and therefore it would still be in their browsing history.

It's a sad situation to think about... this project gets heavy at times!

On 5/20/2021 at 9:00 PM, Inscape said:

I have a unique need as I build a site for a shelter for abuse victims. They want their site to have a "quick exit button" which a person can click at any time if an abuser walks into the room to quickly exit the site

You may find these previous threads helpful:

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

3 hours ago, Inscape said:

Is there a link I could put in the announcement bar that opens the website in an incognito window, to have people click that before they even start browsing?

Not that I've been able to find.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 3 weeks later...